Amazon v/s Walmart

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
My wife and I order a lot of movies and other things from Amazon because their prices are usually good and they offer free (super slow) shipping, but lately I've begun to notice that Walmart is often cheaper on many things including shipping costs. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it's almost as if Amazon has started keeping their prices slightly higher to compensate for offering free shipping. That, or Walmart has simply started trying harder to compete with Amazon.

Either way, it's always good to save a little extra money wherever possible.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #2  
Amazon is going to build a new distribution center in New Jersey and will be completed July 2013. As a result of this new building I have to pay 7% sales tax on any Amazon product delivered to my home. I guess I will really have to take a look at prices and compare.:thumbdown:

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #3  
Nothing like a little Competition Massey.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #4  
Quite often I find products cheaper from places other than Amazon now, but many times the lower shipping keeps Amazon in the running for my $$. I rarely impulse buy and love how the internet has become the great "market", I can price shop and read reviews on products .

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #5  
Amazon is going to build a new distribution center in New Jersey and will be completed July 2013. As a result of this new building I have to pay 7% sales tax on any Amazon product delivered to my home. I guess I will really have to take a look at prices and compare.:thumbdown:

They are doing the same thing here in TN. :thumbdown::(

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #6  
We like Amazon, they are easy to order from deal with and offer some buyer protection. We have had one of their largest distribution centers here for some time, therefore, we have always paid the state sales tax. We use Walmart too as they have good prices. It is a love/hate relationship with them as they keep moving merchandise around to keep you in the store longer and there is always the Walmartin factor. They have (Walmart) destroyed the locally owned general merchandise market, but niche stores are popping up with some lasting and some not. Retail is a tough market.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #7  
Amazon had a distribution center in our area and fought the state over the sales tax. They threatened to close the distribution center and put a bunch of people out of the work if the state attorney general wouldn't relent. He wouldn't and I guess they did. And now . . . they're building a bigger new distribution center in the area.:laughing: So we'll pay the sales tax. But I, too, buy both from Amazon and from Walmart; like to give my business to others if their prices aren't too high.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart
We use Walmart too as they have good prices. It is a love/hate relationship with them as they keep moving merchandise around to keep you in the store longer and there is always the Walmartin factor.

Personally, I avoid going to Walmart stores at all costs and typically order online if I purchase something from them. My wife doesn't seem to mind going, but I think the stores are a cross between a zoo and a circus. :laughing:

They have (Walmart) destroyed the locally owned general merchandise market, but niche stores are popping up with some lasting and some not. Retail is a tough market.

The same thing happened here when Walmart first began opening stores. Back in the 80's the local "main street" economy was booming, but now it's a ghost town.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #9  
I buy different kinds of things from Amazon. I bought a on-demand water heater for my daughter, some unusual tools and devices... Stuff Walmart doesn't carry. In a rural area, I would have to drive some distance to buy these kinds of things from small retailers. But for routine hardware, household items and some clothing, I stick to the local retailers. I go to Walmart maybe twice a year to get something I need quickly that isn't available from locals. Certainly Walmart is cheaper on some things, but not that much cheaper. A tool box I recently bought from a local hardware store was only a buck more than the same thing at Walmart... And I was in an out of the store faster than I could ever be at Walmart. You make up in convenience and support what you lose in time and a few dollars.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #10  
That's why we call them Wall Martians. I tell you one thing I am done with yesterdays tractor