Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #121  
Convergence of capitalism and consumerism = our society. "Shut up and place your order," lest you fall behind the flock.

/ Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #122  
Softness isn't about countries. It's about the declining necessity of physical activity to survive. The Neanderthals did not have grocery stores stocked by millions of farmers. They were hunter/gathers running around 24/7 to fight/kill animals for food. The whole human race is becoming softer because advanced technology has resulted in less physical activity needed by individuals.
So anyone here want to go back to those times "when men were men"? Me neither.
Back to the OP. From 1835 we have this; Somewhat prophetic.

“Society will develop a new kind of servitude which covers the surface of society with a network of complicated rules, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate. It does not tyrannise but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville
Just goes to show that people were complaining about the same things almost 200 years ago. I think less prophetic than simply an observation on how society evolves with technology.
While my hat is off to those who built so much with just hard work, I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

And let's not forget this comment on "kids these days": “Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants."
Socrates said that in 470BC.

/ Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #123  
Spot on for today. Amazing that is from 1835 !
what goes around.......

The children of today are lazy, disrespectful, slackers etc etc etc

it goes on, i can't remember it all

Julius Caesar maybe 2000 years ago

/ Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #124  
what goes around.......

The children of today are lazy, disrespectful, slackers etc etc etc

it goes on, i can't remember it all

Julius Caesar maybe 2000 years ago
Socrates.
See my previous post.

/ Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #125  
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -Plato

/ Americans getting softer? What’s your opinion? #126  
FE96C046-0A80-4BE1-87AE-3DF1A9DA05F4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.