Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #11  
Thank you for sharing the information and a very interesting thread. Knowing about these background programs leaves me wondering how much other stuff is buried in my phone. I know, it's not REALLY my phone. I pay money and Google lets me use it. By the way, newer phones do not allow easy battery removal.

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning
You're welcome RW.

Old bikes, Old tractors, Old phones..... there is a pattern to what I appreciate more as time goes on....

It took me a while to see it, but it was right in front of me all the time.... I am the product; the phone is just the gateway drug.....

Rgds, D.

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #13  
Yeah and after you turn it all off and get it good and secure you will find none of your favorite conveniences work. Just saying.

Yeah and after you turn it all off and get it good and secure you will find none of your favorite conveniences work. Just saying.
Important caveat, and that matters to many today.....

In my case not only is that OK, it's what I want to happen.....

Instead of just being irritated on my own (when it turned out, Google had other plans for my phone, after I thought I had ALREADY turned this off.....) , I clicked away this PSA while having coffee.... for the other % or 3 of deviants that are like me...... :cool:

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #15  
There's no cell service at my house, and I'm an old codger who often forgets to take a phone along when I go somewhere. I lived for decades without a cell phone. It's not a necessity. My voice mail prompt gives the land line number and directs people to call there. If I'm outside, they can leave a message on the answering machine. I suppose someday I will end up with one of the new online cars.

Retirement does look good.

I've used cell phones much more for work than personal over the years. I've had a personal one since the 90s, but I've never been glued to it the way some/many people are today......

Convenience of getting a picture to a supplier rep quickly is probably my top biz function today.

But other than that, if I lived in the USA I'd have probably just been getting by with Google Voice and a tablet for personal comms for a few years now.....

Rgds, D.

You're Not The Boss of Me !

I didn't really need the reminder (of who is actually running the show/illusion/Matrix), but I got it anyway.....

The evil sub-menu settings are staying Off, but now both our phones do the same thing - Wifi comes up On, when you power the phone Up. (Unlike many today, we actually power our phones down). This is with the top Level (obvious) Wifi "switch" untouched, still "Off".

This Vampire Wifi is obvious right away, if you power up the phone near a wifi network you already have a password for, so I notice powering up at home. Having recently changed jobs, I don't have any wifi passwords loaded yet for my new workplace - if I powered up my phone at work, I may not have seen this immediately.

Sneaky, really __________ sneaky.......

I often leave my phone in Airplane Mode to conserve battery, but it's been in the back of my mind from the GetGo..... Is it always Off, till I say otherwise.......

If I didn't occasionally use my personal phone for work, I'd probably pull the battery, for the few times I need my phone active.....

Rgds, D.

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #18  
I know it's not the case for everyone but for me the conveniences afforded by my smart phone outweigh the risk. By using tractors etc. most of us face risk by taking certain measures that make the risk tolerable. It's the same with the phone, I keep financial / password info off the phone along with a few other basic precautions. As for being tracked or spied on, my life is pretty boring, if someone (or something) wants to follow along I don't care.

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #19  
rjpotts said, "As for being tracked or spied on, my life is pretty boring, if someone (or something) wants to follow along I don't care."

Same here!

/ Android Phone : Wi-fi Scanning #20  

I got myself a senior phone with built in GPS......Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination, it tells me why I wanted to go there in the first place.​