Anorher lithium battery fire

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
The firehouse burned
The Fire Marshal’s Office investigated and says the fire started inside the station at a wall containing multiple lithium-ion batteries that were charging at the time

This is why I've gotten out of the habit of leaving my batteries on charge. Last month I had a 6aH battery and charger overheat.

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #2  
Eventually I'll have a fire proof small battery charging station. It could still make smoke, but hopefully won't spread.

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #4  
Eventually I'll have a fire proof small battery charging station. It could still make smoke, but hopefully won't spread.

How are you doing that? You've got me intrigued.

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #6  
Interesting idea: Some time ago I read of someone making a concrete block box or pen, with a plastic box for a roof, and about a foot of sand in the plastic box. A fire would melt the plastic, dumping the sand on the battery.

Bruce

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #7  
My chargers are on a twist timer.

20240521_125917.jpeg

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #8  
The firehouse burned

This is why I've gotten out of the habit of leaving my batteries on charge. Last month I had a 6aH battery and charger overheat.
I have a tool in the barn that is powered by a 12 volt industrial truck battery, that we use twice a day, that was on the charger constantly when not in use for the past 10 years. Now, I am more aware of the risk and put it of charge as soon as the battery is full.

/ Anorher lithium battery fire #10  
How are you doing that? You've got me intrigued.
Hopefully I'll be starting building my new workshop soon. And, then I'll try to post a thread about it. But the design will be to also consider fire safety both inside and outside.

I will have a fair amount of concrete, brick, and steel in the shop. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to simulate a battery fire to see how it reacts.

One of the problems might be isolation, so if I have 10 batteries that are each about 0.5 kWh, .then if they all go, it could be a mighty big fire.

Interesting idea: Some time ago I read of someone making a concrete block box or pen, with a plastic box for a roof, and about a foot of sand in the plastic box. A fire would melt the plastic, dumping the sand on the battery.
Bruce
So, yes, a concrete and steel charging area, somewhat like a wood stove alcove.

The sand is an interesting idea.

I was looking at thermal fusible links earlier.

One can choose a break temperature from about 135°F to 500°F causing it to dump its load of fire retardant.

Perhaps if enough fire stations burn down, they'll start developing battery fire safety codes... if only they don't go overboard. Just like we have rag buckets and chemical cabinets.

Actually, for the fusible links, I was thinking more about outside window shutters. But, the same concept.