Another backhoe question

/ Another backhoe question #51  
I was able to dig numerous stumps as large as 24", both hardwood (maple and oak) and pine buy using a $300 attachment called the "Rip and Dig" on the bucket of my 1995 Ford 1620 27 Hp tractor. I just started out about 5 feet and starts digging to break off the roots, and continued until I could push underneath the stump. By repeatedly lunging into the dirt beneath the setup, eventually cut through enough dirt and root to the point I could see the stump move. From there I would either attach a chain and pull it, or lift it with the rip and dig. A few stumps required me to use a grub ax on the largest roots. Some were so heavy that I could only skid my bucket or else my rear would lift off the ground. I could get a large stump out in a few hours.

Of course, I would have loved a BH or excavator. But, I used an old 27hp tractor, a $300 attachment, some sweat, and stubbornness to get it done!
File_000.jpeg

/ Another backhoe question
I was able to dig numerous stumps as large as 24", both hardwood (maple and oak) and pine buy using a $300 attachment called the "Rip and Dig" on the bucket of my 1995 Ford 1620 27 Hp tractor. I just started out about 5 feet and starts digging to break off the roots, and continued until I could push underneath the stump. By repeatedly lunging into the dirt beneath the setup, eventually cut through enough dirt and root to the point I could see the stump move. From there I would either attach a chain and pull it, or lift it with the rip and dig. A few stumps required me to use a grub ax on the largest roots. Some were so heavy that I could only skid my bucket or else my rear would lift off the ground. I could get a large stump out in a few hours.

Of course, I would have loved a BH or excavator. But, I used an old 27hp tractor, a $300 attachment, some sweat, and stubbornness to get it done!View attachment 776658
This looks very much like the "stump bucket" I am highly considering! I makes a lot of sense, stab, stab, cut roots, stab stab, and eventually all of the roots are sliced along with the dirt they were holding onto. The heavy duty one by Titan is what I'm looking at. $1,500 is a lot lot cheaper than $10,000! Plus no additional moving parts, and it's SSQC.

Random to everyone here...did you know Yanmar wants $15,000 for their backhoe attachment!?! I thought Kubota was proud. Wow.

/ Another backhoe question #54  
1672360688578.jpeg
ratchetrake.com

Had to look that one up, but it is exactly what it sounds like.. a clamp-on stump bucket attachment. It’s longer than a ‘spade’, looks sturdier, and has teeth.. still $299.. i’m glad it’s available and surprised i hadn’t heard of it.

As for the backhoe, i’m happy with my tiny 6.5’ woods on my b8200. I use it often, and have lots of projects still lined up for it. Ive done some of the work on my property with a borrowed mini ex and while yes they are totally superior diggers (and cranes etc) they’re desirable enough that there are hardly any ‘deals’ to be had, and some things are extremely expensive or laborious to repair. At least on the backhoe most of what could need fixing is totally exposed. I say this as ive got one backhoe totally down to bits and pieces for repairs, but it is a very light duty 40 year old machine that was severely abused. Still, i can say that there’s not much on a small tractor backhoe that is imposing to keep up with or repair.

Last edited:
   / Another backhoe question #55  
YOU hear buy this other piece of equipment
and forget the backhoe but I don't believe that
most people have the cash to purchase this
other equipment to do the job and when you
have a backhoe on your tractor you can take
your sweet time about what you want to do!
My drain pipe from the house to the septic
tank has a plug some place and with the back
hoe it didn't take very long to find it! Now will
just pull the root out may be have to cut a hole
in the pipe to get the root out and just put a
patch on the hole instead of cutting the pipe up
and replacing it. PVC pipe prices are unreal
$75 for a 20 ft thin wall pvc pipe when I remember
paying $9.95 for a 20 ft piece of thin wall.
Now because of the cold temps some pipe lines have shut down and some refineries are shut down
because they were told to cut back on the use of
electricity and the gas for reg here went from $2.46
to $2.75 over night.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL

willy

/ Another backhoe question #57  
View attachment 776895ratchetrake.com

Had to look that one up, but it is exactly what it sounds like.. a clamp-on stump bucket attachment. It’s longer than a ‘spade’, looks sturdier, and has teeth.. still $299.. i’m glad it’s available and surprised i hadn’t heard of it.

As for the backhoe, i’m happy with my tiny 6.5’ woods on my b8200. I use it often, and have lots of projects still lined up for it. Ive done some of the work on my property with a borrowed mini ex and while yes they are totally superior diggers (and cranes etc) they’re desirable enough that there are hardly any ‘deals’ to be had, and some things are extremely expensive or laborious to repair. At least on the backhoe most of what could need fixing is totally exposed. I say this as ive got one backhoe totally down to bits and pieces for repairs, but it is a very light duty 40 year old machine that was severely abused. Still, i can say that there’s not much on a small tractor backhoe that is imposing to keep up with or repair.
That's the one. It doesn't compare to an excavator or backhoe, but the original post asked if there was an inexpensive way to remove stumps, among other tasks. It worked for me. It's very well made; other than having to replace a ratchet strap after it was damaged by me. I would suggest that you consider welding in an additional plate under the center of your bucket. I don't have any deformation to the lip, but it created a few dimples where the jack screws hold it. Nothing significant.

/ Another backhoe question #58  
IMHO something like this would work
better looks like it would cut the roots

willy

/ Another backhoe question #59  
This looks very much like the "stump bucket" I am highly considering! I makes a lot of sense, stab, stab, cut roots, stab stab, and eventually all of the roots are sliced along with the dirt they were holding onto. The heavy duty one by Titan is what I'm looking at. $1,500 is a lot lot cheaper than $10,000! Plus no additional moving parts, and it's SSQC.

Random to everyone here...did you know Yanmar wants $15,000 for their backhoe attachment!?! I thought Kubota was proud. Wow.
The one for my Mahindra was $7k made in USA

/ Another backhoe question #60  
I've dug out several massive stumps with my 1626. I'm quite impressed with this machine.