Another confused first timer

/ Another confused first timer #101  
Why do you own both Kubota and Deere? Which one do you like best?
Right now our "users" are two JDs and a Kubota. As to "why", it just happened that way. We do tend to buy good low hr. tools instead of new.

The JDs are tough enough to live forever, but the tractor we use daily is the Kubota simply because it is a handy size and more comfortable. That's more because of the model than the brand. If the sizes were different it could just as easily be the other way around.

Good tractors seem to last a very long time. They get old slowly & tend to work tomorrow like they did today. But we no longer make our living with them.

/ Another confused first timer #102  
Ok, I just finished reading all the replies to this thread. Man you guys got really wordy with this one. I would like to see this much thought and detail put into other threads.

Ok, so here's my two cents version of a wordy reply to the original poster. It is good that you are reaching out and asking for advice from people on this forum as this is naturally the first step to take in your journey to finding the "right" tractor for your needs. However, it's just the beginning. As many people here have suggested you need to first begin with figuring out what you want to do with your tractor which will lead you to determine what attachments you want to run and then lead to you finally figuring out how much horsepower and weight you will need to power them. After this has been determined you then need to go to both of your local dealers and sit on the tractor models that fit your needs spec wise. I can tell you from personal experience that this will be enlightening as there is big difference in the quality, ergonomics and feel between those two brands.

Now I want to address all the cliché advice given about shopping a dealer over the brand. That is often times bad advice that fails to address many other complexities in the buying process. It also fails to take into account many of the real world realities that exist in a imperfect world such as what if you live in a town where you don't have any good dealers to buy from? What are you going to do then? Hoodoo the reality about the tractor market is this: It's in realty what's referred to in business and economics class as a duopoly. There are only two brands that control the lion share of the market which is Deere and Kubota and all the other brands are a far distant third. South Korean tractor manufactures are just selling on price. If you look closely you will find that they have a history of not meeting their basic warranty obligations, have bad parts support, have bad resale value and have a sparse selection of dealers to choose from. They have been trying to break into the US market for years and as Jeff pointed out earlier they have hardly made a dent. Why? If they were offering something better and cheaper then Deere and Kubota they would have won a lot more market share then they actually have but I digress. Prices on compact tractors are very high because as I stated earlier it's a duopoly. If Ford and Massey Ferguson had of stayed in the market and not sold out in the late 1980's we would all have more choices and prices would reflect that but we don't so you only really have two brands to choose from.

Some have suggested buying used. Used tractors are way overpriced right now and for what you would pay for a used one you could go out and purchase a new one and get a 6-8 year warranty. Also used equipment is nothing at all like used automobiles. It's a totally different animal. You have far more risk buying used equipment then you do used automobiles. One of the reasons for this is due to the fact there are not as many tractors sold as there are automobiles which means you don't have the same choice and access to third party repair shops that you do with cars. And if something goes wrong with that used tractor that you don't have the ability to fix you just paid the dealership's rent and light bill that month. You don't ever want to be in that position if you can avoid it.

I think the tough reality that you are starting to face is you purchased a piece of rural property with some acreage and now you're starting to figure out that it's not cheap to own and maintain it. You would not be the first to be a little shell shocked by the real cost of ownership to have the privilege of living out on some land. It's a cowboy dream many of us have but few of us like paying for. I wish you well in your journey to buying your first tractor and I believe with enough research and study you will make the right choice.
I do not understand how some people equate a small market share to not a good product. A company can be a excellent company and have a excellent product but only have a small part of the market share. Also to think that Massey and New Holland are not major players is ridiculous.

When you go out to eat, do you only go to the big chain restaurants? What about automobiles? What is Tesla's market share compared to Ford or Chevy? It just is not a reflection on quality or anything else.

And for some reason, Mahindra is the No1 selling tractor in the world but they do not make your list.

There is a bunch of good quality tractors out there made by different manufacturers. Good luck to the OP with his hunt.

/ Another confused first timer #103  
I do not understand how some people equate a small market share to not a good product. A company can be a excellent company and have a excellent product but only have a small part of the market share. Also to think that Massey and New Holland are not major players is ridiculous.

When you go out to eat, do you only go to the big chain restaurants? What about automobiles? What is Tesla's market share compared to Ford or Chevy? It just is not a reflection on quality or anything else.

And for some reason, Mahindra is the No1 selling tractor in the world but they do not make your list.

There is a bunch of good quality tractors out there made by different manufacturers. Good luck to the OP with his hunt.

K5, there is an old saying, "the cream always rises to the top". How do you think companies get that kind of market share? The answer is they earned it. There are no underdogs in the business world. You earn the reputation you get.

/ Another confused first timer #104  
K5, there is an old saying, "the cream always rises to the top". How do you think companies get that kind of market share? The answer is they earned it. There are no underdogs in the business world. You earn the reputation you get.

Yes cream rises to the top of fresh milk. After it has been processed it does not rise to the top anymore. And some people, for which I do not understand, want skim milk. No cream at all.

In my case, price was not even a consideration. I went to Kubota first. I wanted a geared CUT with direct injection and no ECM. Kubota did not offer a geared tractor at all in a CUT. All the others that did had ECM. The only tractor that met the requirements I had was Branson. After I found what I wanted, then I asked about the price.

If market share is the cream then Kubota is like 5th in the tractor market. Massey and New Holland both sell more units than them. At least according to all the information I can find. Market share is a secret in the tractor industry for some reason.

/ Another confused first timer #105  
I would give you this example. Budweiser is not nearly the best beer in the country. Even if you expand it out to all of their brands. Marketing and business strategy have more to do with success than superior product. Sure, they 'earned' it, but not in the way you imply. Toyota used to be considered a junk brand. Now they have the most respected brand in terms of reliability and resale in the market. Their vehicles changed, but the key to their success was marketing. That is not to say you can have a bad product and market it to #1, usually, but the 'best' in terms of sales is, in my experience, not usually the best product.

/ Another confused first timer #106  
I will admit i have not read all of the post's in this thread, however as a multiple tractor owner and part/full time farmer i would offer my 2 cents. no matter where you live as you drive around pay attention to people working tractors in your area. This does not mean go buy what you see the most of....it only means that if you see Kubota, Deere, New Holland, LS brands and so on those are most likely the brands in your area that have a dealer and service dept. there. Now with that being said, if while driving around, all you see is Northern Tool Chinese tractors. Good Luck! and Drive a Different Road from now on lol.....

/ Another confused first timer #107  
I will admit i have not read all of the post's in this thread, however as a multiple tractor owner and part/full time farmer i would offer my 2 cents. no matter where you live as you drive around pay attention to people working tractors in your area. This does not mean go buy what you see the most of....it only means that if you see Kubota, Deere, New Holland, LS brands and so on those are most likely the brands in your area that have a dealer and service dept. there. Now with that being said, if while driving around, all you see is Northern Tool Chinese tractors. Good Luck! and Drive a Different Road from now on lol.....
"Now with that being said, if while driving around, all you see is Northern Tool Chinese tractors. Good Luck! and Drive a Different Road from now on lol....." 🤣🤣

/ Another confused first timer #108  
I will admit that if I was farming and working fields that needed High PTO HP I would be in a different Tractor ! If a person needs a compact tractor and the most he might be using the PTO for is mowing with a Brush hog I would look at the Second tier brands .
I'm lucky enough to know a very good Diesel Mechanic that would work for cash if I have a problem . If your not mechanically inclined and will not perform any service on your own then I would look the nearest dealership for the size of Tractor you need . I will be curious to know what you end up with . Keep doing your research and let us know how it turns out !

/ Another confused first timer #109  
You get what you pay for. Stick to a brand with some history and a serious presence in your area stay away from economy brands and keep it Deere Massey new Holland or kubota if you want to be able to get parts and have some resale on your machine. These guys that go no name China and Korea brands and going to all be complaining in 10 years when they can’t get parts for the cheap tractor
How about some examples from you wide range of experiance?

/ Another confused first timer #110  
I’ll share a little but I’m a Nubie at tractors. My wife inherited 113 acres and a cabin . Her dad battled cancer off and on for 5/6 years . Not much was done to the land in this time so when we got it the work was plentiful!!
After paying a contractor almost 11k for some cleanup we quickly came to a conclusion we need better equipment. I’m still working with kids in college so money is tight. I did about 9 months of research and came up with three brands of tractors . Kioti, LS, Branson.

The Branson won out because the dealer was close . I chose a 25hp 2515H . I think I’ve made an awesome choice. I only have 48 hours on it but I’ve done more in 6 weekends then I did all last summer. Some of the good things . A tier 4 non regen motor without fancy computers running everything. A good diesel mechanic can work on it , don’t need a dealer.

3 gear hydrostatic trans
2100 lb lift on loader
7 year warranty. This is why you need a close dealer.
One of the heaviest in it’s class
Awesome seat fully adjustable and hydraulic.
quick attach bucket
Cruise control
There is much more I’m just getting long winded.
With the money I’ve saved I bought the third function for a grapple and a box blade.
I might not have awesome resale but I sure have a nice tractor 😁

Good luck and keep us updated!
Take decent care of it and when it comes time to sell it tell those who try to lowball you to keep walking! Price it fairly in the same percentage of the JD, Kubota for sale and you will find that you won’t loose anymore on it than them at time of sale.
When I buy cheep and try to sell at a bigger profit margins I am always waiting for someone who drank the coolaid and believes the crap that everything else is substandard. They are the only ones who give thier money up without a fight!