/ Another Grain Bin Incident #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM

Northern Iowa farmer rescued after night trapped in grain bin

www.msn.com.ico
CBS Minnesota on MSN.com|42 minutes ago
A northern Iowa farmer spent a night trapped in a grain bin before crews rescued him Friday.The farmer became trapped Thursday afternoon by grain in the bin on his farm in the Ackley-Iowa Falls area,

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #2  
How does a person get trapped, the grain working like quicksand? That would be scary as he77

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #4  
Thanks MR. Without seeing that video I never would have thought that grain could be as deadly as that. It was an eye opener for sure, thanks again..............Mike

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #5  
Interesting video.

I didn't know that many people died in bins. Farming is dangerous. I remember in Walla Walla a classmate falling into the back of a wheat truck and passing away before they could get her out.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #6  
I've read about this - So I asked google how often this happens >
How many people died in grain bins every year?

In recent years, grain entrapments and fatalities have risen.
In 2017, 23 grain entrapments and 12 deaths were recorded; in 2018, 30 grain entrapments and 15 deaths were recorded; and in 2019, 38 grain entrapments led to 23 deaths

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #7  
Good thing Google is there.

Anyone who grew up around grain farming knows how dangerous it can be. Sometimes I wish people from the city had to live on the farm for a year so they would understand. Problem is that more farmers would probably get hurt or die trying to keep the city folk safe.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #8  
Good thing Google is there.

Anyone who grew up around grain farming knows how dangerous it can be. Sometimes I wish people from the city had to live on the farm for a year so they would understand. Problem is that more farmers would probably get hurt or die trying to keep the city folk safe.
Right but I don't think you want all them city folk taking turns living on your farm :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #9  
Generally when something causes more than a few deaths a year OSHA etc...sets regulations and requires whatever safety equipment to be deployed...
I wonder what if any safety equipment is designed to prevent this type of accidents/deaths...and how many victims are/were not using said equipment...?

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #10  
There are quite a few variables in grain bin entrapments. We used to shovel the oats around in our granary and corn in the corn crib and grain bin. We were the unloading equipment so had to get in the bins. Yes bins with fast unload will pull you under. Dad always said Flax will swallow you like quick sand. Never been around flax so no proof this is true but no reason to doubt it is.