Another grinding wheel thread...

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
I have read countless threads/debates/reviews on "what is the best grinding wheel" but they all seem to focus on how long they last. My interest is in how long they perform well.

I've used many varieties over the years (mostly 4-1/2") and haven't paid a lot if attention until recently. I'm trying to find a 6" wheel that doesn't glaze and stop working well... I really don't care how long it lasts as long as it removes material at a fast rate throughout it's life. I like flap discs but a new grinding wheel will get more done hands down... that is until it gets a glaze, which seems to be around the point where you reach the fiber mesh reinforcement.

6" discs are not very plentiful and I was at fastenal a while back and they had some abmast on clearance. I had never heard of them but since they were cheap I figured I'd give them a try. First impression was "wow! these are awesome!"... for about 3 minutes. I tried metabo, and while better, they slowed down after about 5 minutes. I've tried norton (norzon plus I believe) in 4-1/2" and they weren't very impressive either.

So are there any discs that won't become useless within minutes on mild steel? And no, I don't believe I'm putting excessive pressure one them, but maybe I'm wrong.

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #2  
glazing can be caused by putting too much pressure on it,(which causes the metal to stick to the wheel) as well as a low "friability" that is, a low rate of the grit being cracked, and giving you a nice clean, and sharp surface.. I've never has this problem, but then, I was a good machinist with a lot of experience.. personally, I've had a lot of good luck with the harborfreight wheels for angle grinders, cheap, and very friable.. they have never clogged on me, and wore down after a lot of use, and still clean.. there are industrial wheels, like borazon, carbide, and diamond, but I don't think you want to pay for those in a home setting.. you could also consider a "Wax Stick" for lubrication..

/ Another grinding wheel thread...
I don't feel that I'm putting too much pressure, but as I said I could very well be wrong... I would estimate pressure as weight of grinder x2. It's pretty scientific I know.

Also, I've never though of or heard of using wax... I have a stick that I use for sawzall blades, hole saws, and band saws... maybe I'll give it a try

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #6  
Rex-Cut Abrasives, Their Sigma Green disc for steel & stainless. After I found these I threw away all the other grinding wheels in my shop and I had a bunch. Their not cheap but if you hate grinding as much as me their worth every penny.

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #7  
Rex-Cut Abrasives, Their Sigma Green disc for steel & stainless. After I found these I threw away all the other grinding wheels in my shop and I had a bunch. Their not cheap but if you hate grinding as much as me their worth every penny.
You normally get what you pay for... I have used a bunch of abrasives and while I have not conducted a controlled scientific experiment, I am convinced there is definitely a correlation between price and durability from my experience. Always hunting for the new cheap awesome abrasives though. Norton treating me pretty good though.

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #8  
It's always a tradeoff. Either you can cut fast and the wheel wears fast or if you want your wheel to last forever, You'll be grinding forever. 3M has that disc out that will cut fast and outlast any wheel but I think they are 3 bucks per disc. Norton, Sait, Camel and Walter are what I use the most.

/ Another grinding wheel thread... #9  

I've seen green disc in youtube videos and wondered where they came from. Thanks for answering my unasked question.

Thanks for the replies guys... sait was going to be my next try. Although I believe 3m may have grinding discs now in their cubitron line, I may be confusing that with something else.

In the long-lasting/ fast-cutting tradeoff I'm definitely more interested in the fast cutting variety.

The green discs sound interesting also I will have to look into those.