Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #2  
This is old news.

Winchester closed its doors months ago. It's been in all the gun magazines and discussed to death in all the firearm forums and maybe even discussed here.

From what I have read on some of the machinist forums, this equipment has seen better days.

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #3  
I guess I am part of the problem... looking at twenty some odd guns in my cabinet right now and none are Winchester.

mark

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #4  
I've got three Winchester Model 94 lever actions and their value just went up! :D

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #5  
I've got 2 old Winchester 94s. One was made in 1912 and the other in 47. I guess they really went up :D

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #6  
BillyP said:
I've got 2 old Winchester 94s. One was made in 1912 and the other in 47. I guess they really went up :D

I hope yours value goes through the ceiling.

The one I have is original also, an old octagon barrel with open sights. It was my grandfathers, then my fathers, and now it is mine. It has a great family history.

As for it's value. I'd rather have it worth less than more. That way it's chance of staying in the family for generations to come become better. It would be the last thing I'd sell but if it was to become priceless a couple of generations from now they might find not selling so easy.

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #7  
Don't get your hopes up regarding the prices of Winchester's skyrocketing upwards. They literally made millions and millions of rifles the past 100 or so years. Post 1964 Model 70's and all Model 94's can be had for very short money (ie. less than $200 in real good condition). The pre-1964 Model 70's still command a slight premium but it's not all that great. You would have to hold onto that firearm for 50 or more years to see any appreciable value increase.

Mad Referee, owner
Perham Corner Competition Services
Specializing in Estate Liquidations and Firearms Appraisals
Personalized service since 1984

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing
MadReferee said:
This is old news.

Winchester closed its doors months ago. It's been in all the gun magazines and discussed to death in all the firearm forums and maybe even discussed here.

From what I have read on some of the machinist forums, this equipment has seen better days.

It might be old news to you but the brochure hit my desk this morning so it was new to me and brought a sense of sadness when I thought about all the hard working people that took pride in their jobs building a product that had a place in American History and now it's gone.
Contrary to what you may have read this is not bad equipment, most of it was from top of the line manufacturers and less then 10 years old.

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #9  
My two Browning Over-Under Citori Grade I shotguns made in Belgium have gone up in value quite a bit since they moved manufacture to Japan.

But my two FN made Browning Auto-5 shotguns have really become collectors items now that they no longer are being made anywhere in the world!!! :D

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #10  
The factory that is there now is just a mere fraction of what it was in the hay day.

The old factory covers several city blocks, the one that they are shutting down is small, but unfortunate.

This is the same fate as Ithica who is now done.

When I was in New Haven the other day the headlines were that Smith and Wesson is buying the factory, makes sence with all the gun smiths in the area. There tooling would be completely different.