Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #21  
tractorErnie said:
Hey Mad, I just inherited a winchester 42 410ga. shotgun. It was grandmothers mole gun, it looks like time stood still for it because its in real nice cond. no scratches or nicks all the blue is in nice cond.Whats something like that worth these days?Oh, they bought it in the 30s or 40s.Ernie
This is a difficult one. I would really need a lot more information and a close visual inspection. The Model 42 was offered in many different configurations and the value will depend on the exact configuration. Depending on actual condition, it could be anywhere from $300 for a standard grade standard option gun to $4000 or more for a deluxe grade vent rib trap model. Model 42's started production in 1933 and ended in 1963 and only about 160,000 were made. If it has any fancy checkering or the word TRAP or DELUXE stamped on it I would at least get it appraised by a professional for insurance reasons.

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #22  
Mad thanks for the replyI just went to gunbroker.com and they sell for $1000 +any way the condition of the one I have was way better then the ones on gunbroker for sale. I guess a gun is worth what the market is at the time of sale, unless you keep it for generations.Now if a gun grabber gets elected all guns will be worth mucho $$$

/ Another Sad Day for US Manufacturing #23  
People may be offering firearms for $x on the auction sites but are they actually selling them for that?

Probably not.

And in most cases the condition is being over stated and the value inflated. They are looking for the sucker buyer. I have been a member on gunbroker since it's inception. It was a good place before all the slimey dealers and quick buck sellers became involved.

Any potentially valuable firearm should be appraised by a professional and insured properly. Also if it's a collector firearm, it should be properly stored (in a safe) and never used again, in order to retain its value.