Anvils???

/ Anvils??? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have been on the hunt for a proper anvil for years now without having to bust the big piggy bank. Being in the PNW, I am guessing there aren't the abundance of them as in the Northeast and Midwest. I have a couple of sections of railroad ties that don't really suffice.

Please tell your stories of how you acquired yours and include pictures and descriptions. I think this could be interesting. I know Big Barn will chime in... seen his stable full. So jealous. Been trying to figure how I can sneak into his shop and smuggle one out while he isn't looking and cross back over the border with it.

Last edited:
   / Anvils??? #2  
Being in the Pacific Northwest isn't so much your problem as WHERE in the Pacific Northwest you're looking. Any place they have horses there will be farriers. These are the guys who shoe horses. Most have an anvil. Many are capable of crafting custom or corrective horse shoes. You need to head for eastern Washington or Oregon where they still have rodeos and cowboys and stuff.

/ Anvils??? #3  
Around here you can find anvils at auction sales but if they are in good shape expect to pay.

/ Anvils??? #4  
I inherited mine from my long deceased grandfather. Its not very large and in rough shape, but I do plan to smooth it up someday. Its old, real old. I'll take a photo of it if anyone cares to see it.

/ Anvils??? #5  
I found a new Peddinghaus model 12 at an auction and got it for a little over $600

I had been looking for years but never found one worth what they were asking. I was actually looking for something else when I saw it. It's been sitting in my warehouse for a couple of years but it will soon be moving to it's new home. I don't really need an anvil but I've always wanted one

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

/ Anvils???
I inherited mine from my long deceased grandfather. Its not very large and in rough shape, but I do plan to smooth it up someday. Its old, real old. I'll take a photo of it if anyone cares to see it.

Yes please.

/ Anvils???
I found a new Peddinghaus model 12 at an auction and got it for a little over $600

I had been looking for years but never found one worth what they were asking. I was actually looking for something else when I saw it. It's been sitting in my warehouse for a couple of years but it will soon be moving to it's new home. I don't really need an anvil but I've always wanted one

View attachment 667318

View attachment 667319

View attachment 667320

That's a beauty! How heavy?

/ Anvils??? #8  
Some suggestions:

- You can occasionally find one on craigslist, be sure to look in neighboring states or however far you're willing to drive.
- You may be lucky enough to have a local place that makes them.
- There are plenty of places that sell new ones on line.

Either way, a well made good condition anvil is an expensive purchase, more so if you have it shipped. Good luck.

I found an old Sheffield locally via craigslist. It's in poor shape from wear (i.e. is more saddle shaped than flat), but for my level of hackery it's just fine and the price was right. I find it useful to have it around for any time I need to bang dents out of things or get the urge to make one of my shlocky projects. I'm always impressed by the level of abuse this anvil takes without showing any sign I'm abusing it.

I'd post links but it's been 10 years since I looked for an anvil so I don't remember all the places I found them online before. I wasn't interested in paying for a new premium anvil so most of them were just window shopping for me, but those places are definitely out there.

/ Anvils??? #9  
   / Anvils??? #10  
How big a anvil are you looking for.....

Any quality anvil such as Hay Buden or Trenton and Peddinghaus are going in $3 to $6 per pound for used.... If a anvil is over about $500 for used, it getting cheaper to buy new....

Just be very careful and stay away from all "cast iron" anvils, you only want forged or cast steel..... I currently am using a 100 lb Vulcan which is a cast iron base but has a tool steel top plate... Quality wise it's mid range in anvildom, but it works for me....

Dale

Last edited: