Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted

/ Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted #1  

Zebrafive

Tractor
John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415
Title says it all! What is the good or bad for the Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8? I am looking for something for utility use, not high speed trail riding or mudding. Limited winter use, no plowing, I have a truck for that.
I am also considering Kawasaki Mule Pro MX or FXR, and Textron Prowler Pro XT

/ Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted
I did some "Sunday " shopping at a dealer that had units outside. I looked at the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR and Can AM HD8 XT

First the Kawasaki; Likes, Bumpers front & rear, Parking brake (lever on the dash), roof looked studier than the Can Am's roof, tires looked like they would hold up longer. Dislikes, doors (I would remove) box has latch to open on both sides that (both) must be unlatched, Tailgate, two latches to open.

Neither a like or dislike, the Kawasaki felt BIG and this is the smallest of the FX series, it felt wider, longer and higher.

Can AM Likes, tailgate has a single handle in the center, floor of box is 3" lower than Mule (33" vs 36"), box can be unlatched to dump from either side, better seat, more foot room, easier to get into and out of, includes a winch (but I do not see for my use needing it). Dislikes, nets (I would remove), front bumper lighter than Kawasaki, no rear bumper, no parking brake, roof looked flimsy, tires looked like they would not last long. List price $900 more.

I have not driven, or even heard either run.

I think I would like the V twin Can Am engine better, vs the inline 3cylinder, but unsure?

/ Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted #3  
The Chery 3 cylinder that is in the Mule is a smooth engine. It makes it's max torque at 3500 rpm so it is a good fit for more work leaning UTVs. The same engine shows up in the Gator 825, the Artic Cat/Textron/Tracker Prowler (also sold under the Caterpillar brand) and some of the Joyner side by sides.

I could live with two latches on the tailgate. That isn't a big deal to me. Having to walk around the machine and unlatch two separate latches to tilt the bed up would get old pretty quickly. I don't know why Kawasaki hasn't fixed that in their designs.

You wouldn't be making a bad decision with either one of those.

/ Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted #4  
I operated the 1st years production HD10 for three years. Did have some grief with it but seems BRP fixed them. I'll assume you'll not be installing pods on it, so you should do fine with the 8. I did write a review of it here. We think I dealership's service is paramount.

defendersnowytrees.jpg

Correct, what ever I get will not have pods/tracks. I am sure they must test the running gear to it's limits.

The Chery 3 cylinder that is in the Mule is a smooth engine. It makes it's max torque at 3500 rpm so it is a good fit for more work leaning UTVs. The same engine shows up in the Gator 825, the Artic Cat/Textron/Tracker Prowler (also sold under the Caterpillar brand) and some of the Joyner side by sides.

I could live with two latches on the tailgate. That isn't a big deal to me. Having to walk around the machine and unlatch two separate latches to tilt the bed up would get old pretty quickly. I don't know why Kawasaki hasn't fixed that in their designs.

None of my dislikes for either machine were a deal breaker for me.

/ Any Can Am Defender HD5 or HD8 owners Reviews wanted #7  
None of my dislikes for either machine were a deal breaker for me.

A friend of mine just leaves the passenger's side unlatched when he is making repeated dump trips.

I don't think you would be disappointed by either machine. My choice came down to which machine on my short list I got the best deal on. It could easily have gone another direction if the price was right.

I still need to see an AC/Textron/Tracker. I have not ruled any out yet.

Power dump would solve the two latch issue of the Mule. But how often do you HAVE to open the box? On my 2510 Mule I open for better access to the fuel filler and to check the engine oil, that's about it, other than to dump/clean the box of dirt/bark/twigs/etc. I do not use it as a dump truck. I use the loader on my tractors for that.

Price wise, MSRP, low to high is Tracker, Mule, Can Am, but year end prices seem to be Tracker, Can Am, Mule.

I am really hoping to find a used good/great deal.

I operated the 1st years production HD10 for three years. Did have some grief with it but seems BRP fixed them. I'll assume you'll not be installing pods on it, so you should do fine with the 8. I did write a review of it here. We think I dealership's service is paramount.

View attachment 623481

Approximately when did you post the review? So I can search for it. Thanks! How many hours did you put on it in 3 years? I guessing it would be like 10-15 years for me.