Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000?

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000?
I recently traded from a L4701 to an MX6000. Physically the tractors are much different size wise. Same BH92 backhoe on each tractor. The loaders seem to be night and day different with the mx winning that battle for sure. At 11 hrs, I cannot give a full review yet but I do like the mx6000. Mine is an open station. I also added a RCD1884 to the package. The dealer had them on the lot when I went to pick up the MX6000. After putting a few hours on it mowing, I wish I would have went to an 8 ft cutter.

Was there much of a discount on the price of the BH9? It's worth it but pretty price.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #22  
I asked about how they were going to set the tires. They told me there was no option? When I was dealing on an L model, one dealer told me he could set them either way.

Strange, my Kubota dealer offered me least 4 documented width settings for my MX5400, and that wasn't even involving spacers! IIRC. I wanna say I went with "Position 6", whatever that was, kind of the default I think. I might have gone with something wider, but I didn't want the tractor width to exceed the trailing attachment width.

Strange, my Kubota dealer offered me least 4 documented width settings for my MX5400, and that wasn't even involving spacers! IIRC. I wanna say I went with "Position 6", whatever that was, kind of the default I think. I might have gone with something wider, but I didn't want the tractor width to exceed the trailing attachment width.

If you have ag tires you would have multiple settings by flipping the wheels or the wheel centers.. Industrial and turf wheels are usually fixed wheels and centers so you only have one size.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #24  
Was there much of a discount on the price of the BH9? It's worth it but pretty price.

Price for the BH92 with Subframe and 18" bucket was $10,060. Not cheap by any means but to me it is worth it.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #25  
If you have ag tires you would have multiple settings by flipping the wheels or the wheel centers.. Industrial and turf wheels are usually fixed wheels and centers so you only have one size.

Yeah, mine are R4's, but apparently they have similar flipping options on the MX.

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #27  
Good to hear the positive feed back on these units.

Hi, my name is Walter and i am a tool-a-holic, I could change if I wanted to, but what the heck, who am I kidding, I'm having too much fun!

I purchased the tractor because I needed to excavate a chunk of my property, so needed a FEL and Backhoe. I also need a rough terrain forklift. Yes I know an excavator would have been faster digging, but moving the fill would have been much slower and they make lousy forklifts, so then I would also need a skid steer, which the forks on dry pavement is very jerky or FEL, and I was only allowed one machine, so Swizz Army Knife, IE Tractor TLB it was. (In a perfect world I would have one of each, Mini Excavator, skid steer and forklift)

I currently have a L3901HST, which I choose based on the specs, and figured with blocking I could get the extra height, only to realize that it was just at least one size too small and that even though it was rated for 1155 lbs, by the time I get the forks and the lengths of steel I need to lift, the hydraulic limiter cuts out before you can even get them off the ground. To add insult to injury the L3901 is in the shop as it developed a hydraulic leak at the gasket to the port block which is right between the HST transmission and the rear end case assembly with only just over 100 hours on it. I am not even finished the excavation and no where near ready to lift the steel. Dealer was fantastic, I emailed the rep. Sunday evening, got a call first thing Monday morning and their driver was here by noon to haul the machine back to the shop, which is a few hours away. It is currently in the shop, split in half, waiting for some seals to come in.

I am now in the process of trying to determine how much of a hit I am going to take trading this unit in against a MX5400HST with LA1065 FEL and BH92. With about 100 hours of moving racks, dirt and sand well there is not much paint left on the buckets, and some crazy fool shock the bucket with a load of pebbles in it and christened the hood, only small dents but dents just the same.

Unfortunately, cab is not an option with a back hoe, only available on the ROPS units, and I am already very familiar with the dust storms these critters stir up, had my wife out with a hose wetting down the pathway to keep the dust down.

I am sure that had I gone with the MX5400 in the first place I'd already be done digging and ahead a chunk of money, but this is my first real tractor and I chose the wrong size, but then who hasn't! Seems I am not the only one to go that route.

Walter

/ Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #28  
I guess it’s easy to say, buy the bigger tractor but, $ always seems to be a factor, at least in in my life anyway.

I bought the 5800 with bh92 for just that reason, and it was a $trech. Like boats, motorcycles and guitars, as soon as I get one, I always want the better bigger one. There are times I wish I had a tiny tractor or baby skid steer. The MX with fel and bh attached is a big boy

I’m getting ready to remove the bh for the first time. I won’t say that I’m scared, but I am!

wish me luck

Walter--post #27--it's no problem to buy and then find you need to trade up. The MX is one heck of a tractor. I have an MX5100 now and it really is the most useful tractor I have ever had. It has power, gets it to the ground, has weight in the right places and is efficient at what it does. That's why I'm considering another, but this time adding a cab.

The engine holds lots of oil, air filers and battery easy access, short turning radius and no stuff hanging down to catch on obstacles. I do not have a BH or loader on mine since it's for AG things but It would surely handle both very well. My vote is to trade up, but bust some chops for a good price and sit on your hands for a while while negotiating.

There is a night and day difference between the L3901 and MX5400. I have an L4300 that I use to lift and pull a 1000 lb, 3 pt hitch seeder. It's all that tractor can handle, even with weights up front. I also have front weights on the MX5100 but don't really need them. It picks up the seeder at warp speed and I can roll through a field without losing control. There is just so much more heft and better weight distribution to the MX series.

Before you talk trade or private sale, clean up and detail the L3901. Maybe have one of those dent removal places take a look at that dent. It will pay off and you'll never know. Use a little touch-up paint and make everything white glove clean. No spray paint. Grease it. That's how you get better $$ out of a trade-in or sale and I've done it a lot. And a private sale is not a bad thing. You'll get more money and Kubotas sell themselves at top dollar.

Oh, FYI--post your general location since climate and soil figure in. Lots of guys won't respond otherwise.

Last edited:
   / Any owners of the new MX5400 or MX6000? #30  
Good to hear the positive feed back on these units.

Hi, my name is Walter and i am a tool-a-holic, I could change if I wanted to, but what the heck, who am I kidding, I'm having too much fun!

I purchased the tractor because I needed to excavate a chunk of my property, so needed a FEL and Backhoe. I also need a rough terrain forklift. Yes I know an excavator would have been faster digging, but moving the fill would have been much slower and they make lousy forklifts, so then I would also need a skid steer, which the forks on dry pavement is very jerky or FEL, and I was only allowed one machine, so Swizz Army Knife, IE Tractor TLB it was. (In a perfect world I would have one of each, Mini Excavator, skid steer and forklift)

I currently have a L3901HST, which I choose based on the specs, and figured with blocking I could get the extra height, only to realize that it was just at least one size too small and that even though it was rated for 1155 lbs, by the time I get the forks and the lengths of steel I need to lift, the hydraulic limiter cuts out before you can even get them off the ground. To add insult to injury the L3901 is in the shop as it developed a hydraulic leak at the gasket to the port block which is right between the HST transmission and the rear end case assembly with only just over 100 hours on it. I am not even finished the excavation and no where near ready to lift the steel. Dealer was fantastic, I emailed the rep. Sunday evening, got a call first thing Monday morning and their driver was here by noon to haul the machine back to the shop, which is a few hours away. It is currently in the shop, split in half, waiting for some seals to come in.

I am now in the process of trying to determine how much of a hit I am going to take trading this unit in against a MX5400HST with LA1065 FEL and BH92. With about 100 hours of moving racks, dirt and sand well there is not much paint left on the buckets, and some crazy fool shock the bucket with a load of pebbles in it and christened the hood, only small dents but dents just the same.

Unfortunately, cab is not an option with a back hoe, only available on the ROPS units, and I am already very familiar with the dust storms these critters stir up, had my wife out with a hose wetting down the pathway to keep the dust down.

I am sure that had I gone with the MX5400 in the first place I'd already be done digging and ahead a chunk of money, but this is my first real tractor and I chose the wrong size, but then who hasn't! Seems I am not the only one to go that route.

Walter

I had moved up to the L3901 FEL and believed I'd finally gotten as big as I wanted but the lack of weight and lift power and less stable than the Ms and MXs per other peoples input led me back to Barlows. I traded for the MX5400 FEL and now believe I've reached my top in size tractor. It goes thru the woods knocking down small trees that would have stopped the L and seems to turn in a smaller radius and for sure has much more lift power. I did not get a BH but have a front mounted one from Titan and many attachments/implements.
I trade instead of sale since I don't get farm exemption of sales tax so it saved me $900 off state sales tax with my L3901 trade in and my L3901 had a dented fender and step and a few small issues which Barlows didn't deduct from his trade in price.
I'm happy with my trade from the L3901 to the MX5400 with a bit over 25 hours on the new MX and believe I had about 250 on the L.