Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #51  
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

i uploaded pics of the track the right hind tire produces during turn and of the right hind tire.

original tires produced the track also

tire in pic has road profile since i changed to Chineese tires with road profile because the original
Carisle tires wore heavily on road surfaces.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #52  
i got a Polaris Ranger EV and have the problem that in turf mode the right hind tire makes marks on gravel
surface.

Is it always the right-hand rear tire no matter which way you turn?

Did you check to see if the brakes on that one aren't perhaps dragging a little?

Is the wheel sitting square on the hub? Is it tracking true to the frame?

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #53  
Another issue might be that it is still in "rear lock mode".

On allot of 4 wheel drive systems, simply moving the lever or button to unlock doesn't unlock the differential right away.

Not until you backup or ease the pressure in the differential, by speeding up and slowing down, does the gears get a chance to disengage and put you in 1 wheel drive mode.

Or the system could be a little draggy as suggested.

Do both wheels turn easily when you had it jacked up, or at least take the same amount of effort to turn?

When jacked up and in 1 wheel drive mode most differentials will rotate the opposite wheel you are turning in the other direction. Like you turning the right wheel forward, clockwise, while the left turns backward, counterclockwise.

Like wise if you turn one wheel someone else should be able to hold the other wheel from turning.

That is how open or unlocked differentials work, the wheel that is easiest to turn gets the power always.

If that is not happening the differential is not releasing somehow.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #54  
thanks for your comments

i did more testing and had a friend look during the turn.

we found that that the outer front wheel is producing the markings on the gravel.

looks like the hind wheels are pushing the front outer wheel out of track in the turn.

but the front wheels are turning freely when jacked up.

Karl

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #55  
thanks for your comments

i did more testing and had a friend look during the turn.

we found that that the outer front wheel is producing the markings on the gravel.

looks like the hind wheels are pushing the front outer wheel out of track in the turn.

but the front wheels are turning freely when jacked up.

Karl

Yes that's front tire scrub... Mine will do that too in tight turns. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as front wheels are in alignment.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #56  
A little scrubbing in the front will be normal. But checking your alignment is probably a good idea. Rangers are typically 1/8" to 1/4" toe out.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #57  
thanks guys

Karl

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #58  
Yes you have to remember that the right tire on a left hand turn is taking most of the steering effort as the left inside tire is light so to speak and the right has more pushing forces. The vehicle is trying to go in a straight line. Ask any NASCAR guy, they know all about push. ha ha

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow
   / Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #60  
Ha ha, good one Milo.

That is just a figure of speech.

Your original question was something along the line of "how to tell if the front drive is working".

Have you tried jacking the rear up and seeing if the front wheel drive will pull you off the jack.

Here is a good view; A brilliant explanation of how a car’s differential works | Geek-Cetera | Geek.com

Video shows, that with all the gears in a front or rear differential, rotating power is sent to one wheel or the other. As long as the input shaft is turning one or both wheels have to turn or something will break.

I'll let you spend the summer testing and report back on your findings.

Last edited: