Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #41  
No but I believe the response is "they all do that".

I'll have to jack mine up and prove that wrong. Lol!

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #42  
If you put a chalk mark on all four tires perpendicular to the ground in line with the center for the hub, in other words at the bottom of the tire, and then drove it until one tire you would be watching made 5 revolutions and then you stopped, I'm sure all the rest would have their chalk marks in the same position as the one you were watching.

I maintain that the system has to be designed to rotate all tires at a speed that makes them travel the same distance for a given amount of revolutions. Otherwise it would destroy itself.

Confusion may come from the fact that others have said there can be a 5-10% difference in tire circumference. This is allowable mostly for tire wear. Think new tires on the rear and bold tires on the front. Anything more than that and again the system will self destruct.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow
If you put a chalk mark on all four tires perpendicular to the ground in line with the center for the hub, in other words at the bottom of the tire, and then drove it until one tire you would be watching made 5 revolutions and then you stopped, I'm sure all the rest would have their chalk marks in the same position as the one you were watching.

As long as you drove straight both rears would be the same, both fronts would be the same however different from the rears because the tires are different size. Obviously they would all rotate the same distance unless any were spinning.

I maintain that the system has to be designed to rotate all tires at a speed that makes them travel the same distance for a given amount of revolutions. Otherwise it would destroy itself.

Confusion may come from the fact that others have said there can be a 5-10% difference in tire circumference. This is allowable mostly for tire wear. Think new tires on the rear and bold tires on the front. Anything more than that and again the system will self destruct.

Fronts and rears do travel at the same rate (speed) UNTIL the rears start slipping. In 4WD the only driven wheels are the rear unless you get on a slippery surface and the rears begin loosing grip and start spinning faster than the fronts. When the rears reach the point where they are going 20% faster than the fronts is when the fronts become driven. As long as the rears are spinning 20% the front stays engaged.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #44  
I think as someone explained already that once the rears slip that certain percentage the fronts will lock in and they will pull at the same speed as the rears as long as you don't let of the throttle, hence, once the slip is detected it engages the locking mechanism, once it locks, the mechanical part keeps it locked until the power disappears but in the mean time the slip has disappeared because the drives (front and rear now turning at the same speed) are locked together and the electrical signal disappears, make sense? Once you let off the throttle the mechanical lock will disengage. This is how my old 98 sportsman used to operate. Yes they will sidetrack at first on the ice, but once the AWD engages it will stay engaged as long as there is torque being applied. As soon as the torque disappears it will be looking for the slip to happen again. Although my old sportsman had the locking device in the hub of each front wheel where now I think it is located in the front drive train somewhere. I think this is a better system overall as you don't need all drive trains powered all the time. Yes there are drawbacks like everything. I've seen some of this other FWD drives that are jumping around while turning sharply on the pavement because you forget to take it out of the FWD mode. With AWD drive it is not as big of an issue. I stand corrected if need be.

Steve

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow
   / Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #46  
As long as you drove straight both rears would be the same, both fronts would be the same however different from the rears because the tires are different size. Obviously they would all rotate the same distance unless any were spinning.

It's too bad I hadn't added that, yes it has to be in a straight line and on pavement, no slippage. On these forums you must explain every little detail.

And NO the tires are the same size, rim size and tire width don't matter for what we are trying to explain here. My tires are 25" diameter on both ends of my Polaris 500 HO Sportsman and that measure out to 78.54" around. Each revolution the ATV will move that far ahead.

This site explains tire size better: ATV Tire Size Explanation | eHow
This site calculates circumference: circumference calculator

And your youtube movie reference is miss leading because it doesn't show the right front tire so we don't know how much the front differential is splitting the rotation between the left and right tires. I bet the right is spinning at times when the left looks like it's rotating slower than the rear.

Last edited:
   / Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #47  

It's too bad I hadn't added that, yes it has to be in a straight line and on pavement, no slippage. On these forums you must explain every little detail.

And NO the tires are the same size, rim size and tire width don't matter for what we are trying to explain here. My tires are 25" diameter on both ends of my Polaris 500 HO Sportsman and that measure out to 78.54" around. Each revolution the ATV will move that far ahead.

This site explains tire size better: ATV Tire Size Explanation | eHow
This site calculates circumference: circumference calculator

And your youtube movie reference is miss leading because it doesn't show the right front tire so we don't know how much the front differential is splitting the rotation between the left and right tires. I bet the right is spinning at times when the left looks like it's rotating slower than the rear.

I agree. I still stand corrected if need be.

Steve

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #48  
hi folks

i got a Polaris Ranger EV and have the problem that in turf mode the right hind tire makes marks on gravel
surface.

i jacked the rear end up so that both wheels are free from ground contact and if i turn one hind wheel
by hand the opposite wheel is not linked rigid so i figure the differential is working as it is supposed to in turf
mode.

if i switch to the midle position of the rocker switch which is rear axle locked the coppling of
both hind wheels gets thight.

so apparently the drive system works ok but why are the hind wheels making tracks during
a turn on gravel surface in turf mode?

appreciate any hints

Karl

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #49  
hi folks

i got a Polaris Ranger EV and have the problem that in turf mode the right hind tire makes marks on gravel
surface.

i jacked the rear end up so that both wheels are free from ground contact and if i turn one hind wheel
by hand the opposite wheel is not linked rigid so i figure the differential is working as it is supposed to in turf
mode.

if i switch to the midle position of the rocker switch which is rear axle locked the coppling of

so apparently the drive system works ok but why are the hind wheels making tracks during

appreciate any hints ​Raise the front and see if the wheels rotate freely.

Karl
My EV did the same thing if I made a sharp U turn. I think it is because there is so much torque available from the 30hp AC induction motor. I haven't noticed it as much since I changed the tires.
PB080026.JPG PB090007.JPG PB090011.JPG

My EV thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/287792-electric-polaris-ranger.html

Here is a Ranger EV Forum: Polaris Ranger EV - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #50  
hi folks

surface.

mode.

appreciate any hints

Karl

Can you post a pic? It maybe just from tire scrub during tight turn. The wider the tires, the more the scrub.