Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels?

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #51  
THESE are what I got for tin snips, worth every penny... I had to adjust the screw for blade spacing as one was a touch loose and would fold metal instead of cut, but once adjusted I could cut off I'm pretty sure a hair thickness, very much a pleasure to use... Other than the one piece of metal that I cut lengthwise I used these for everything, I think I only used the nibbler for a couple cuts before I realized these were faster and cleaner... With the extra angle I don't think I even cut any knuckles! I didn't wear gloves doing the work either...

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #52  
For roofing, use a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. The grinder will heat the metal too much and be more likely to cause rust issues in the future. I made all the cuts necessary for my pole barn with one metal cutting blade and it's still in good shape.
I agree. I have cut a lot of roofing and I always use a metal cutting blade in my circular saw. Lots faster and the blade lasts a long time.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #53  
I use these. I have found it is a wash on price they last longer, lots longer. Saves changing discs. I believe it solves some of the safety issues others have mentioned
Yep, used similar blade.
I believe they are called 'friction blades'.
Nice cut, long lasting but make a nice collection of steel wool like material.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels?
Thanks for all the input. I was tearing apart a collapsed carport and most cuts were on sheets that I could barely reach the width while standing on either a stepladder or a scaffold. Many cuts were made overhead at full arm extension using the angle grinder. The best way it worked for me was to cut most of the sheet with the grinder then finish off the "valleys" with the reciprocal saw.
I was just surprised how fast the wheels were grinding down and concerned about them shattering. Especially while grinding overhead.
Didn't have any shatters. Probably went through 20 or 30 DeWalt wheels.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #55  
   / Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #57  
never had one break yet ----- not to say the next one wont.
the guys that did our shed and house siding cut the sheets with a shear that makes a 1/8" ribbon as it cuts. clean cutting, fast, and no metal damage due to heating. I would never use grinders or saws!

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #58  
never had one break yet ----- not to say the next one wont.
the guys that did our shed and house siding cut the sheets with a shear that makes a 1/8" ribbon as it cuts. clean cutting, fast, and no metal damage due to heating. I would never use grinders or saws!
Sounds like one of this type.

Bruce

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #59  
Because of you characters o_O, I got this thin metal, carbide, blade. Now I can throw my old one in the recycle bin.
P1100375.jpg

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #60  
Use the metal diamond coated wheels. Cheaper and safer.