Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I have to constantly be fixing parts on the tractor such as the latches, seat, fenders, hood or attachments such as posthole diggers or rotary cutters, etc.. My buddy told me any welds would not hold on such thin metal for the like, but there has to be a way to do it rather than pay for a new part

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #2  
Depends on a lot of things. Have a specific example? Normal body panels I think are probably beyond my skill/equipment for welding. Could probably braze easier.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?
Depends on a lot of things. Have a specific example? Normal body panels I think are probably beyond my skill/equipment for welding. Could probably braze easier.
Ok, here is a example, when I tipped my tractor over last time, I crushed the left fender. It rubbed against the wheel and so I used my other tractor to pull the brace back up, but fender is barely holding up, and I either have to weld it to the brace or order a new one.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #6  
Get yourself a TIG welder and learn how to use it. I suggest taking a class at a local community college. TIG requires a skill level much higher than even SMAW.

Skill level in order of process:

MIG (Glue Gun) low to medium depending on wire and shielding gas or flux core.
SMAW Takes some skill to achieve a consistent and sound weld
Gas welding... Requires skill, especially when welding (not Brazing)
TIG Far and above requires skill and being able to 2 hand weld

Far as thin metal goes, I can TIG weld a broken tape measure back together or butt weld 2 aluminum pop cans. Pretty thin materials...

If you have a quality MIG and can dial it down sufficiently and use light gauge wire, you can also weld thin materials. Not as thein as a tape measure but well within the realm of body panels. Again, that will take some skill and experience so don't expect to buy just any machine and stick thin materials together. You'll be very disappointed in the result.

Ooof, glad you're okay. Can you remove it and bend it back to shape then remount it? If you've got MIG you can probably weld it.
Thanks, I tried to, but it has tears in the seams I think, so I would just make it worse. Now as for MIG, I have a welder stored that shoots out a wire, but havent used it yet, is that what you mean by a MIG?

Get yourself a TIG welder and learn how to use it. I suggest taking a class at a local community college. TIG requires a skill level much higher than even SMAW.

Skill level in order of process:

MIG (Glue Gun) low to medium depending on wire and shielding gas or flux core.
SMAW Takes some skill to achieve a consistent and sound weld
Gas welding... Requires skill, especially when welding (not Brazing)
TIG Far and above requires skill and being able to 2 hand weld

Far as thin metal goes, I can TIG weld a broken tape measure back together or butt weld 2 aluminum pop cans. Pretty thin materials...

If you have a quality MIG and can dial it down sufficiently and use light gauge wire, you can also weld thin materials. Not as thein as a tape measure but well within the realm of body panels. Again, that will take some skill and experience so don't expect to buy just any machine and stick thin materials together. You'll be very disappointed in the result.
Now you have me, whats a TIG and how is it different than a MIG?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #10  
TIG is tungsten inert gas welding and MIG is metal (wire) inert gas welding. With TIG you use a tungsten electrode to provide heat and a compatible filler material to effectuate the weld. It's a 2 handed procedure and requires coordination and skill.

MIG is one handed with a gun, wire and inert gas envelope or flux core. I don't use flux core only wire with shielding gas, usually 75-25.

I cut my teeth way back when gas welding using coat hangers for filler metal so TIG was easy for me as I was used to coordinating the filler rod and the heat of the Tung to weld with.

TIG is slow, MIG is quick and the newest pulsed MIG machines can give you a TIG welded appearance (stack of dimes) with the speed of a MIG.