Anyone been over at AS lately?

/ Anyone been over at AS lately?
I just find that the few "snobbish" and "cliquety (if thats a word)" types overshadow the good ones on there.

That was the word I used as well to describe it so it must be a word! word :laughing:

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #22  
TBN Chainsaw Forum is just about all I need...

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #23  
Seems like the old-timers there are'nt real happy with the format change.

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #24  
I will say that I am very greatful that the mods here decided to add a chainsaw section. I can see this being one of my favorite new sections of this great community.

Yes, it's a great new section it looks like they added it back in the year 2000.

from 12-06-2000
Have a Stihl 044 saw with 20" bar. When I bought the saw (going out of business sale for ~ $400 /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ) I bought extra bar and some extra chains.

And in:
And last I knew, If you even mentioned racesaws on AS, they would delete your post or ban you. And the guys there are mostly geared toward hotsaws, saw racing sports, alcohol saws, etc.

But to each his own. I would much rather "waste" my day reading here on TBN than on AS.

Did you mean if one mentioned the racesaws SITE?

Because AS has an entire subforum titled Race Saws and Race Results.

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #25  
AS has an entire subforum titled Race Saws and Race Results.

I am aware of that. I was refering to the forum racesaws.com you would be banned or post deleted.

Not for just talking about racing chainsaws. But the actual website.

But that was awhile ago. Again, I am out of the loop. But I guess I was never really in the loop because I never made many posts over on AS.

And it's actually funny, I just tried to go to racesaws.com, and it wouldn't come up. So I googled it and nearest I can tell is that they got hijacked or something and will be back soon???

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #26  
I use to frequent a couple of AV sites. It was nice to learn things like the pros and cons of different brands and models of TV sets. But one turned into an argument site until the owners of the board just started banning people as they saw fit and the other became a one flavor dominated the talk (who wants to go to a site and ask about a John Deere and be told that they should buy a Kubota because everything else just didn't measure up).

I've also visited a welding forum that's much the same way. It seams like when you get on a subject that's a profession then people dismiss those who don't do it day in and day out. An answer should not be "call a professional". Sure point out things like safety issues but that's why people ask.

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #27  
Well I don't know of other sites that use rep, so I can only speak on behalf of AS.

But you are right, it is really like a popularity contest.

Basically, members give eachother rep, both positive and negative. The higher the rep of the person giving the rep, the more points the reciever gets. So If you have little or no rep, and you rep someone, they dont get as many points as rep given by someone with a lot of rep.

Rep can be given for numerous reasons. The way it was intended was, if someone made a good post, you reped them.

Like on this site, If someone built something, gave lots of hepful detail, pleanty of pics, etc, you would rep them. If they gave good advice to a problem someone was having, you reped them.

But if someone (we dont have many here) is always saying negative things, and just posting to be posting and not being helpful, or always argumentative, you would give negative rep. This would take away their points.

It was intended to be kinda like the feedback score on ebay. So newer members can see at a glance who has a history of giving good sound advise and always makes posts that are worth reading. You can also see who are the ones whos posts arent worth the time it takes to read.

Does that clear things up for you?

Yes, Thank You very much!

I had no clue about the weighting of reps. The feedback concept makes sense. But I suppose the concept got a little lost in the implementation. I guess I would not be terribly interested in having a rep system on this site, but it would not bother me either way.

Repped! :D

/ Anyone been over at AS lately? #28  
It seams like when you get on a subject that's a profession then people dismiss those who don't do it day in and day out. An answer should not be "call a professional". Sure point out things like safety issues but that's why people ask.

I guess thats why this site is so great. Because last time I checked, "Compact tractor Operator" wasnt really a profession.

I think most of us here just own a tractor to do personal things with. Not for a living. Except some of the farmers and construction workers.