Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #41  
Dang! High prices for used plow trucks! My folks put a homeowner grade plow on their F150. Mounts to a 2" receiver that's bolted to the truck frame. Manual angle, but he just sets the angle to one side and makes 2 straight passes (down and back). Plow comes off easily, he built a little dolly for it, and rolls it off to the side.

I think he's got around $2k into it, new

And that's some high snow Banks!

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #42  
I purchased a Deere, big 3 cylinder German engine powered and about 5 ft rear tires c/w blower and FEL for the grand price of $2500.
The owner was plowing urban drives and apparently ran into a curb which resulted in a bent right loader arm.
While it had been repaired when I acquired it, it still was not quite right.
The blower was too big for the HP and the bucket too large.
Oh, and only Armstrong steering.
Being 2 wheel drive (even with the chains) it proved not right for my hilly drives so I traded up?, well down for my very maneuverable Mitsumi 4 x 4 that I later mounted a homemade plow on and homemade cab.

Never regretted that up/downgrade.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #43  
DK35Vince,

Do you have any pictures of your plow mounting system with the angle cylinders underneath. I like the idea of having the plow as close as possible to tractor. Thanks

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #44  
I have a quick attach brand 8 foot plow with 4 trip springs on my tractor. Ive run up to 2.5 miles of gravel road with it. Been using it for 6 winters now and no bent or damaged fel.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow
I have a quick attach brand 8 foot plow with 4 trip springs on my tractor. Ive run up to 2.5 miles of gravel road with it. Been using it for 6 winters now and no bent or damaged fel.

grsthegreat, I see your signature says you have an 84" snow blade and your quote says 8 ft (96"). Did you get a bigger blade or is one of these numbers wrong. I'm not nit picking, only wanting to make sure of the size. My dealer only has 2sizes in stock the 84" and the 96". I'm concerned that 84" might not be wide enough when rounding tight corners and I have a few but also concerned that 96" might be too wide and put a lot of strain on the loader when the blade is angled. I keep going back and forth with the loader mounted plow and I'm not sure where I will end up. I know it would have been really nice to have a front mounted plow yesterday when I was blowing snow. After getting to the bottom of the driveway I could have turned around, put the plow down and pushed the left over snow to the edge.

I'm going to check the Quick Attach brand out.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #46  
Hilbilly, since no one mentioned the only alternate to forward plowing with a blade is a frame mount..... here's mine. 9'6" v. I did this for several reasons, 1- I got that blade for $650! 2- I needed the loaders valve functions to operate it (once you try a "V" you'll never go back! 3- It's a lot easier to maintain steering with the blade 3' or more closer to your steering axle. 4- I don't like imposing plowing shock & sideway loads on my loader if avoidable.
View attachment 539112View attachment 539113

I built the frame mount and (without checking) I think store bought options are slim to none.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow
Rustyiron, I like all of your points. Your attachments don't open and I'd like to see how you set up your plow.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #48  
Oops. Pic of frame mount, hyd lines from loader & the blade attached.
DSCN3998.JPG
DSCN4219.JPG
DSCN4251.JPG

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #49  
Yes, you could damage your FEL with a loader mounted plow.

You can also damage your tractor with a frame mounted plow, or a 3 point plow. Or, doing any other task.

The only way to be sure you won't damage your tractor, is to leave it in the barn.

If you are one of those people who tears things up all the time, you should not consider plowing with anything.

If you take reasonable care to mitigate any hazards, and drive safely, you will not likely have any issues.

/ Anyone Bent Their FEL Using a Snow Plow #50  
RustyIron, very nice frame mount. How are you controlling your blade doesn't it take two controls for the v and one for the lift?
That is a much sturdier mount then hanging off the front end loader. Also with the lower positioning of the push points I believe it would be easier on the tractor.