Anyone build a fuel trailer?

/ Anyone build a fuel trailer? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
For the longest time I have been filling the skid loader, tractor, temp heaters, etc. with 5 gallon diesel cans. I continue to say I will pick up a cheap farm tank, but put it off when I see a nice one for sale. I'm also not terribly impressed with the appearance and can't decide where to put one.

Long term, I think I'll set up a hidden fuel tank and pipe it so I can fill my truck as well with really clean fuel.

In the meantime, I am thinking about building a trailer to hold a 50-100 gallon diesel tank. Options include the HF trailers (the 4' one would be nice but the wheelbase may be too short, worried about jack-knifing it in winter easily?), a complete DIY, or picking up a used other trailer. I've had a HF diesel pump for probably 3 years I've never used until today filled the skid loader with it and I'll never go back to 5 gallon cans and funnels!

Has anyone built a fuel trailer?

/ Anyone build a fuel trailer? #2  
I thought about it, but decided not to after checking all the Federal and state D.O.T. regulations on fuel transport and opted for the 55/110 gallon transport tanks you can buy at TSC and other retailers. I mounted them using the ears welded to the bottom of the tank to heavy duty pallets. I use my loader with pallet forks to load them and unload them. I don't use a whole lot of fuel so it works well for me. I use ethanol free fuel for my mowers and small equipment and my plane and untaxed off road diesel for my tractors. I like the 55 gallon tanks better as it is easier to work with them than the 110 gallon ones. I can load 2 of them in the back of the pickup or 1 110 gallon. Also, it is cheaper than building a trailer unless you have what you need on hand.

/ Anyone build a fuel trailer? #3  
I have an old tilt trailer with a wooden planked deck on it which is now dedicated as a fuel sloop. with a 100 gallon slip tank, I built a light cedar frame basically to keep the tank bottom above the wood deck to prevent any rusting out through the bottom, it is chained down to the trailer for stability. I just have a hand pump on it but it certainly comes in handy, Living only a few miles from town, it is no big thing to pop into town for filling, provided one travels in low traffic times, or perhaps having to deal the local constabulatory the "farmer card" by pleading ignorance...... as the trailer won't pass inspection any more, and it only gets filled perhaps twice a year as I generally just run the bigger tractors into town to fuel, but for the zero turn, BX and RTV it certainly beats the heck out of Jerry cans!! plus having the peace of mind that just in case the gas station is closed there is generally enough there for back up for the bigger equipment. Anything larger than 100 gallons in My mind may not be the best thing as it is nice to keep the fuel reasonably fresh, especially with having all four seasons here, ( sometimes that happens in one day )

Cheers

Roger

/ Anyone build a fuel trailer? #5  
I built one using a free 175 fuel oil tank that had been pulled out of a house which was converted to gas. I got it from a oil wholesaler who had several of them. The tanks are also on Craigslist. Be sure to flush it out because there will be some sludge at the bottom. What I have noticed is that there are several different tank bung configurations. You will need at least two 2" bungs on top. My tank came with a fill gauge, and that gauge also takes a 2" bung, so now you are up to three 2" bungs. My first tank didn't have enough large bungs, so I had to sell it and look for another. I mounted my tank to a pallet so I can move it around with my skidsteer. Because of the fill lid would allow fuel to slosh out, I added a ball valve to the riser. The pump or gauge seems to allow enough air in so the tank doesn't form a vacuum when it gets cold.

Here is the pump that I used: Piston Hand Pump with Steel Telescoping Tube and Nozzle Spout
This is the fill cap I used: McMaster-Carr
If your tank didn't come with a gauge: Liquid Level Tank Gauge for ASTs-Direct Reading Gauge-Type D
Now they will sell direct to you, but it's actually cheaper to order them from here: Fuel Transfer Pumps, Gas Station Supplies, Fuel Nozzles, Transfer Tanks - John M. Ellsworth Co., Inc. Very helpful people at three locations.
Ordered my signs from here: Safety Signs and Labels - Easy Shopping with Guaranteed Compliance: ComplianceSigns, Inc.

If I purchase 100 gallons of fuel, my dealer will deliver it for no cost.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
   / Anyone build a fuel trailer? #6  
MY FIL uses one of the TSC 110 gallon tanks with an electric pump and it actually works pretty well. IT still needs mounted to a pallet, but it usually lives in the truck. I used to use 5 gallon cans and its not so bad when the machine holds 5 gallons or less. For fueling the larger equipment, you can't beat a bulk tank. Its so nice to be able to pull up to the pump, top off, and not worry about it again. If I get low, I just call the local fuel supplier (When the driveway allows in the winter) and order 100 gal or more. Its great since the on-road tax for fuel just got upped in pa. Since i'm getting it in bulk and off road fuel, I get a nice little discount for it! I picked up a used bulk tank (250-300 gal) from craigslist list. I drained it and flushed it, painted it with rust converter and topped it off with some white paint. The pump was already in the tank, so I replaced the seals and added a good filter w/ water seperator and have not looked back yet!