Anyone built a cheap metal carport?

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #31  
I've got a small fiberglass camper that I'd like to keep covered. It is only 17 feet long, but it is 9 feet high with the air conditioner. So I notice that I can buy a metal carport kit from Home Depot or Lowes for sub $1000 including shipping to the store, but these all have 7 foot walls. I can on-line order one from other sources with higher sides, but now I'm into higher prices and shipping charges. Also, I plan to just place this on a graveled level spot, so I need to think about how to anchor it.

Anyone skinned that cat?

My first two thoughts where very similar to those already given. Built a wall on either side to gain height, or abandon the kit and built a pole barn type building with wood posts in the ground. Both have significant drawbacks that require a lot more physical labor and probably not the results that you will be happy with.

Here in East Texas, there is a dozen metal carport companies less then an hour away from me to chose from, and from what I've seen, they all do a good job. Prices tend to vary, but nobody seems to stick with just the basics and there are a lot of upgrades that they take advantage of. In your situation, I would keep looking for a company that builds exactly what you want in a kit and not try attach something that isn't what you want to a wall that you have to build.

Spend a little bit more now, and get the best bang for you buck now, or regret it the rest of your life by trying to save a buck.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #32  
I'd bet over 99% of the folks on here that own land, pay property tax. Build something on that property, and the tax goes up...

You just can't get around that draconian rule...

SR

I can't speak for other states, but those of us in Texas are more then 1% of the folks on here that own land, and we don't pay any more in taxes for outbuildings, regardless of how big they are. In fact, a lot of people are putting up barns on their land and then converting them into a home so they can avoid paying taxes on a house. My taxes on my 68 acres are broken into two categories. My house was $1,700 and the tax on my land was $440 in 2018. Since we don't pay income tax here, our homes are taxed fairly high. Most of our taxes go to the public schools, with the Junior College being the biggest hit. My barn and sheds are part of my land and they are not taxed in any way.

Sad that people in other states are taxed for every little thing on their land, and then not allowed to do what they want on their land without government permission.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #33  
Around here a standard double wide carport with rounded top is $695.00 and $40.00 for each foot up. A gable end top is $795.00 put up (18' X 21' they count the 6" overhang on each end, so the floor is 18' X 20' ). Any add on the price jumps up a lot. They hold them down with rebar about 3 to 4 feet long with a big nut welded on the end. They put them up in about 45 mins. then take your check kiss you and say good by.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #34  
I can't speak for other states, but those of us in Texas are more then 1% of the folks on here that own land, and we don't pay any more in taxes for outbuildings, regardless of how big they are. In fact, a lot of people are putting up barns on their land and then converting them into a home so they can avoid paying taxes on a house. .

That's exactly the kind of thing that makes The Powers change the rules. If too much of that becomes too common, expect to be taxed on those buildings.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #35  
My barn and sheds are part of my land and they are not taxed in any way.
I'm in East Texas also, south of Eddie and in a different county, but my barn is taxed. There is a separate line item on the tax bill showing its valuation and the tax.
And I also get taxed on how much my trees grow during the year, but I have a forestry exemption so the taxes for that are a bit "unusual" in how that's done.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #36  
I bought a carport from carolina carports, they were on ebay. They sent a crew up and put it up in 2 hours. I just need to show them where.
The carport is very sturdy and when we finally put in a garage I will re purpose it to a tractor shed or sap house....

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #37  
It's bad enough that my outbuildings are taxed - WA better not take on "taxing tree growth" - like where 3T's is at. Some folks raise crops, some "grow" cows - I farm trees. Big 'ol ancient Ponderosa pines and their young. They provide a pittance of income about every fifteen years or so.. Not even near enough to pay my annual property taxes - but a little.

I consider my carports rather "homey". Easy & cheap to build - easy & cheap to replace, if need be. However, after 38 years they still stand - just as I built them.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #38  
I used a local company called Carports Anywhere and ordered a 24' x 31' x 8' for $2995. installed!
It took 5 weeks because they were so busy even though the factory is 10 miles away.
4 guys installed it but only one spoke english and they did a great job.
They had a special trailer designed to haul the carports and had 3 more they were going to install elsewhere.

Attachments

• DSCN1049.JPG
    DSCN1049.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1047.JPG
    DSCN1047.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1046.JPG
    DSCN1046.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 125
  • DSCN1052.JPG
    DSCN1052.JPG