Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #41  
I ccs about 6 cord a year for *100% of the house and shop heat. The health benefits are a consideration although I'm highly mechanized. I am harvesting my own wood and us a "regular" splitter not a processor and do have a log winch for the tractor. If nothing else, it keeps this "outside dog" - outside. I'll be working on 23-24's wood this winter.
* actually December-april ish. Mini splits do the shoulder seasons.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #42  
Spent most of Saturday doing firewood excercises, split and moved a couple cords of wood. The tuff part is that this year we had a wind storm on the 28th of March that blew down lots of Ponderosa
Pine in the area. Most of them in the 40" plus diameter at the stump range. Cut them to a length of 16" rounds to let them dry all summer, lifted these rounds with a tractor onto splitter. A very slow and tedious process trying to figure out the safest way to handle the large rounds.
Have never processed rounds this large before and will not be doing it again any time soon.
I process large rounds by splitting shakes off the outside with a maul until it's small enough to cross split.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #43  
Put a wood burner in the house 6 years ago. Mind you, we live in SE Tennessee so the need for heat is not nearly as great as my Northern brethren. But I enjoy it! Gives me great joy to take discarded or deadfall trees and turn them into heat for the family. I have way too many projects to spend much of my free time splitting wood with a maul and stacking it 3 times, so I have been refining my technique over the years. Presently move logs to my processing area with tractor, buck with Husky 359, split with a gas splitter, and toss directly into an ICB tote cage for movement. No, I DO NOT do it for exercise but I still get wore out after 3 or 4 hours of it and I also appreciate that. I am a young buck (46) compared to most of you, hope to still enjoy it for many years to come.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #44  
This is my wood splitting tool. It's a 6 lb. maul with a little kicker on one side that keeps it from ever getting stuck in a split. It's the finest splitting tool I have ever owned. I've been splitting with it for 27 years now. If the fiberglass handle ever gives up, I'll put a new handle on it. I have shopped for a maul with that splitting head, and can't find one anywhere.

I've tried hydraulic wood splitters, and by the time I horse a round into position and wait for the hydraulic to do its thing, plus dealing with setup, fuel, and maintenance, I could have had the job done twice with my maul.

IMG_0298.JPG

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #45  
Pine in the area. Most of them in the 40" plus diameter at the stump range. Cut them to a length of 16" rounds to let them dry all summer, lifted these rounds with a tractor onto splitter. A very slow and tedious process trying to figure out the safest way to handle the large rounds.
Have never processed rounds this large before and will not be doing it again any time soon.

Durn .. I just deleted a photo... I use skidding tongs to lift the 36" Oak rounds on the splitter. Either use the tractor loader or a chain hoist.

tong.jpg

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #46  
I forgot to mention. I use a Fiskar splitting axe, the longer one. Even though im very short, the long axe works well for me, as i can develop more speed with it, at least that's what i think. Most types of wood are not a problem. Oak being the hardest, for me to split, so far. One the largest rounds of oak, no knots, maybe 30 inches or so, it will take 3 or more hits in the same spot to get it to come apart. I've got some larger maple rounds that im working on now, but if it's dry enough, seems to split ok. I have a few that are just under 4 feet, not sure how those will go. I moved them with the FEL when they were wet and it had a tendency to make the back end a bit light and lift off the ground if i turned too sharp. I may have to borrow one of the hand pump splitters from a friend, to make them more manageable size.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #48  
Now that I have a hydraulic splitter I only use the maul when splitting big rounds down to sizes I can lift on to the splitter. And only to finish cuts that I noodle with the saw.

Most of the species on my land are hard splitting. Tan oak, live oak, eucalyptus are all tough to split. Bay is especially bad. I'll be getting into some big leaf maple soon and I hear it splits well. Madrone is super easy to split but it tends not to grow straight. And it rots really easily and termites love it. But it dries well and burns nicely.

I've only been burning wood seriously for a couple years since we got a good stove. Before that I gave away the rounds. There's so much wood here that there's no need to buy any unless you lack the ability or time to split it, or only have a small plot of land.

I like splitting wood. It's kind of repetitive so it doesn't take my full concentration and I can wear my bluetooth hearing muffs and listen to music.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #49  
I forgot to mention. I use a Fiskar splitting axe, the longer one. Even though im very short, the long axe works well for me, as i can develop more speed with it, at least that's what i think. Most types of wood are not a problem. Oak being the hardest, for me to split, so far. One the largest rounds of oak, no knots, maybe 30 inches or so, it will take 3 or more hits in the same spot to get it to come apart. I've got some larger maple rounds that im working on now, but if it's dry enough, seems to split ok. I have a few that are just under 4 feet, not sure how those will go. I moved them with the FEL when they were wet and it had a tendency to make the back end a bit light and lift off the ground if i turned too sharp. I may have to borrow one of the hand pump splitters from a friend, to make them more manageable size.

I break my big rounds down by one of 3 methods. 10lb sledge hammer and wedges, noodle in half with chainsaw, spit vertically with the splitter. The vertical split use is only rarely. Too much trouble and backache working down there to horse a heavy round into position. I break everything down to a size I can load on the truck and finish the splitting at home - sometimes manually, mostly with splitter. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for Fiskars and mauls (86 yoa)

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #50  
I break down my big rounds by rolling them onto my splitters beam, and pushing them through the 4-way wedge,

Resized-20200312-145016-1705-S.jpg

SR