Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #531  
Bugs here are accelerating in poplulation and my feeder usage has declined a bit (1/2 to 3/4 quart vs 1 quart a day).

I see this as a good thing. Eat them bugs (y)

I hope they don't eat my spiders. I love spiders. they eat massive amounts of bugs.

- Spiderman (aka goeduck)

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
I hear they continue to come back near where they were born ? So you must be feeding regularly every year and keep them around.
I posted earlier that birds have returned that we not only recognize from the year before but have gone back to hidden places where feeders were there the year before and aren't now. I am certain they are returns from the prior year.

For bugs, I've seen them haul off big bugs as well as eat tiny insects off my wife's flowers.

Last edited:
Humm, seems odd that they are apparently eating bugs, so must be for their young nearby.
It's been mentioned in this thread that bugs are their primary food source and it's something like they eat their weight in bugs daily. Not sure on that but it's in this thread.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #534  
It's been mentioned in this thread that bugs are their primary food source and it's something like they eat their weight in bugs daily. Not sure on that but it's in this thread.
This site talks about the West Coast Annas eating the most insects of the different species

Can mother HB"S give feeder nectar to the babies in any any way? I ask because we have several smaller adult birds zipping in and out of the feeders dozens of times a day in what looks like a feeding frenzy.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #536  
That is a good question. The fluctuation of visits that I see at my feeders seems to follow this pattern

1 Winter low volume while only the resident Annas feed
2 Spring increase while the traveling Rufous Birds from Mexico and CA arrive and "refuel" to gain weight back.
3 Late spring drop off while birds start to nest
4 Early summer increase while babies are taught where to feed and are growing boys and girls.
5 Mid Summer drop off while flowers and bugs are plentiful
6 Late summer increase when Rufous travelers "fuel up" before departing for Mexico and CA.
7 Late Fall Return to step 1

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #537  
A quick google search says humming birds feed their young by regurgitating bugs and nectar for only 3 weeks. By then the little ones fly on their own . Pretty quick to be out on their own for eats.

A quick google search says humming birds feed their young by regurgitating bugs and nectar for only 3 weeks. By then the little ones fly on their own . Pretty quick to be out on their own for eats.
That is amazing and what must be happening here. We have maybe five birds making a nearly constant rotational feeding frenzy for maybe a week. Must be feeding babies.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #539  
Even the humming birds are affected by this unusual heat, here in the PNW. They hit the sauce first thing in the AM and again late in the afternoon.

"Only fools and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun"

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #540  
It has been wet for weeks down south and the humming birds have been feeding all day. I usually change the feeders out every three days with water still visible just old. Now I have to change because the drank them dry. Also they like cucumber flowers right close to the feeders.