Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #781  
We have 5 right now. Having to refill every day right now with just the one needed. Going to need another feeder!!

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Normally, we have dozens and dozens of birds. Not this year with only five or six regulars. maybe things will pick up as summer goes on.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #783  
I am not seeing the normal drop off at this time of year now that everything is in bloom. Daily haircut going outside.

Normally, we have dozens and dozens of birds. Not this year with only five or six regulars. maybe things will pick up as summer goes on.
That's my post above lamenting on how few birds we've had so far this year. Today it all changed and they've been buzzing the feeders all day. We went from a few a day to 20 or more today and it's only mid-afternoon. Here's hoping.

Of note is the birds were taking much longer drinks but not sure why.

EDIT--update to the day after and we have even more birds than yesterday. It's as though someone flipped a switch.

Last edited:
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #785  
Summer slump is on here. Went from 1-1/2 quarts a day to very, very little. :oops:

Very quiet for the last couple of weeks. It's hard to remember from year to year but it's definitely quiet at the feeders this year. I hope they recover going forward. We miss all the HB activity.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #787  
Very quiet for the last couple of weeks. It's hard to remember from year to year but it's definitely quiet at the feeders this year. I hope they recover going forward. We miss all the HB activity.
Haven't seen many here last 2-3 weeks either, though there were quite a few back in May/early June. Of course everything's in bloom now and plenty of insects too.
As far as birds in general, pretty much an average year, though not as many jays as usual.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #789  
I am not seeing the normal drop off at this time of year now that everything is in bloom. Daily haircut going outside.
That is normal that bird visits decrease this time of year. Seems that the females won't got to feeders and as you say, there is plenty of food near by.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #790  
Busy here, more than last year.