Anyone else having problems viewing files?

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #51  
Come on guys. You must have diagnosed problems before that are tough to track down. Now imagine a problem that SOME people have but most others don't? Including me. Because it's working for most people, the first thing we need to do is identify why the people who have problems are having them.

Have you tried different browsers? Do you have any extensions installed that block ads or scripts? (I don't have an issue with you using ad blockers, but they can sometimes be set too restrictive and might be an issue.)

Are you able to try it on a different network? Like home vs work or a free store wifi at Walmart/Target/Starbucks?

First try different browsers, try your phone vs your computer, and if possible try on a different ISP (I know this is trickier.)

If you can't get this info for me, that's OK, I'll keep looking, but the scope of the problem could be outside of something I can fix on our server (if, indeed, it's a problem with our server.)

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #52  
OK. I just now notice a difference. If I access TBN using FireFox - no problems. If I use Safari - no avatars - no pictures. Just the small blue square with ? in the center. I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Internet access - Hughes Net.

I'm getting all the text using either browser.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #53  
Come on guys. You must have diagnosed problems before that are tough to track down. Now imagine a problem that SOME people have but most others don't? Including me. Because it's working for most people, the first thing we need to do is identify why the people who have problems are having them.

Have you tried different browsers? Do you have any extensions installed that block ads or scripts? (I don't have an issue with you using ad blockers, but they can sometimes be set too restrictive and might be an issue.)

Are you able to try it on a different network? Like home vs work or a free store wifi at Walmart/Target/Starbucks?

First try different browsers, try your phone vs your computer, and if possible try on a different ISP (I know this is trickier.)

If you can't get this info for me, that's OK, I'll keep looking, but the scope of the problem could be outside of something I can fix on our server (if, indeed, it's a problem with our server.)
This problem started at least a full day before this thread was started...something changed...You might check any logs etc. starting before then...any type of updates etc.
Even if the images work on a particular browser but not another or network etc...the problem is not with the browser if nothing on the user end changed...i.e., the images just quit...

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #54  
Seems to be working fine now, here. Windows 10 PC. Firefox and Edge are my two browsers.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #55  
OK. I just now notice a difference. If I access TBN using FireFox - no problems. If I use Safari - no avatars - no pictures. Just the small blue square with ? in the center. I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Internet access - Hughes Net.

I'm getting all the text using either browser.
That sounds like a issue with Safari possibly being "stuck" with old files "cached" from before the update.
Have you tried holding down Control and hitting F5 (to force a full refresh of the page) and/or clearing your cookies/cache for TBN?

Aaron Z

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #56  
This problem started at least a full day before this thread was started...something changed...You might check any logs etc. starting before then...any type of updates etc.
Even if the images work on a particular browser but not another or network etc...the problem is not with the browser if nothing on the user end changed...i.e., the images just quit...

Are you using Safari as well? Are the images loading if you try Firefox/Chrome/another browser?

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #57  
IIRC from the "closed" message earlier this week there was a server changover (and a forum software update?).
Even without that, it is possible for a user to have corrupted files "stuck" in their browser cache without any changes on either end, so it is not uncommon for the problem to be with the browser even when "nothing on the user end changed"

Aaron Z

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #58  
IIRC from the "closed" message earlier this week there was a server changover (and a forum software update?).
Even without that, it is possible for a user to have corrupted files "stuck" in their browser cache without any changes on either end, so it is not uncommon for the problem to be with the browser even when "nothing on the user end changed"

Aaron Z
What type of "corrupted file" stuck in a cache can cause images not to display?...including images in new posts??

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #59  
Are you using Safari as well? Are the images loading if you try Firefox/Chrome/another browser?
Have tried chrome and several versions of Mozilla...it's not a user end issue...!

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #60  
FWIW...
one thing that is suspect is some but not all avatars display...
Are you capable of looking at the uri in the database for avatars...it might be interesting to see if the uri for an avatar that displays is the same (other than the obvious difference) as the uri for an avatar that does not display...

Uploaded picture avatars do not display

Avatars with just a color background and a letter do display (no uploaded image)
Also images in YT video links display fine...