Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter?

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #61  
Noticed that the deer around here have turned almost black just in last few days. Never seen that before.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #62  
I noticed a maple tree that was turning on the way home from breakfast this morning. Still a little early for that here.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #63  
I have actually seen three Monarch caterpillars in the last couple of weeks on the milkweeds we have planted around the house and shop. First I've seen them in a few years.
Don't think I've ever seen the caterpillars, but we're still seeing a few monarch butterflies around. Not sure what they're eating, the milkweed has gone by. There's a ~100 x 100' foot patch in my field that I leave unmowed until the pods split to attract them. Not that there's any big shortage of milkweed around here...

As far as leaves turning...there are a few but we're a good 7-10 days away from anything that resembles peak foliage. This month has been rainy, so maybe that's affected it somewhat, no frost yet either (though we've come close).

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #64  
Fall colors just starting around here at 8,000 feet elevation:

P1017132ertbn9-25-22.jpg

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #65  
I definitely see some and honestly looking forward to it.
This winter i am not going to work anymore and will spend long mornings in my bed playing wordle, searching for new words in word finder https://word-finder.cоm/words-that-start-with/voy/ and enjoying my ginger tea. I deserved it with my hard work.

Last edited:
   / Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #67  
Still seems pretty summery, if that's a word. ;)
Considering that your post was short and succinct, I would say that a pretty appropriate word would be "summary" :unsure:

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #68  
Things just starting to turn here with a frost last night..........It has been so dry a lot of the trees have been dropping brown leaves for two weeks.... without any color change. Actually, temps have been above average for over a month now.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #70  
Two large flocks of geese heading south. :oops: