Anyone figured out a way to see

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT 2801fd Loader
Been trying to figure out a way to see what angle the bucket is when down low on the ground, can't see the sides or the front of the bucket. Thought of a mirror but no where to put it so it does not get knocked off. Got to be a better way than getting off the tractor and looking every time.
Any suggestions.

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1755M. John Deere 420-c
What do you have for a tractor?
Most modern tractors for the last 10-20 years have an indicator of one type or another that runs from the curl pivot point and up the loader arm as a visual indicator. some are even adjustable for different implements such as the one on my Massey 1755

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
My JD has a rod that when a bend in the rod is at a spot on a bracket it’s level. The Kubota I had just had a little bracket on the bucket that when the top was level the bucket was to. It was just a crude visual thing but it worked fine.

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
The simple way is as noted, a rod that moves with the bucket and has a level mark. Problem there is that shows level to the tractor as set on a level surface. It doesn't show level to the ground if you're working on a slope.

A more 'high tech' way is a camera and monitor along the lines of a backup camera. That way you can see the bucket in relation to the ground it's working.

dusty3030

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010 Cab, John Deere 5105, Kubota 7040 HDC
Not trying to be flippant, but with a tractor loader an indicator rod and seat time where you get the feel for your particular machine. You'll eventually get a feel for it and it gets easier.

Dedicated loader machines (skid steer, track loader, etc) you have direct vision of what you are doing. Tractors the loader is an "add on" basically and you can't see what's going on so well.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
Another is to install a backup camera* system.
They are so affordable that they are probably cheaper than most factory bucket indicator kits.

*some are wireless and most can accept 2 cameras. Prices vary from $50 on up.

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
I feel like an idgit, Never owned a tractor before. Drove my Brothers JD but no loader.
At the moment, clearing a lot of limbs from last ice storm, I have forks on bucket with chains and they stick out far enough to see.

My tractor
DSCN0614.JPG

pjbci

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4840, Deere 5075e, 450j, Cat D4k2, Kobelco 160, Volvo EC140el, deere 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35
Not trying to be flippant, but with a tractor loader an indicator rod and seat time where you get the feel for your particular machine. You'll eventually get a feel for it and it gets easier.

X2
The more you use it, the easier it will get and you wont even look at an indicator rod.

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
Even with an indicator rod, some loaders seem to be much more touchy to keep level than others. I have had ones that work great, and others that when you think you are level you are either digging a hole or not picking up anything. I am not totally sure why. It may be the shape of the bucket (I am thinking maybe the longer the bucket bottom the better), or if it is how the indicator is mounted, or if it is the geometry of the loader linkage. Maybe it is just the tractors I have used, but the older the tractor, the better the FEL seems to work at staying dead level.

Recently I was fine leveling of ground for a new yard, and even with my indicator the only way I could make a straight cut was to have my wife watch the leading edge and tell me to tilt the bucket up or down. I once had an old Ferguson TO30 with an FEL that was easy as pie to make a straight cut. Then my '80's Yanmar was a bit worse, but better than my new tractor.

A camera would be nice, but I have no doubt I would destroy it in a hurry.

SmallChange

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Another is to install a backup camera* system.

I'm sure PILOON meant to say you should install a frontup camera system. They sell them to help you when you are fronting up.

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Never tried it but I'm thinking a piece of anything flat attached/clamped to the top of the bucket and extending to the rear would comprise a makeshift indicator. This is assuming the top of the bucket has an area that is horizontal to clamp to.

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
Never tried it but I'm thinking a piece of anything flat attached/clamped to the top of the bucket and extending to the rear would comprise a makeshift indicator. This is assuming the top of the bucket has an area that is horizontal to clamp to.

I was trying to describe just such a thing on the Kubota BX I owned. I couldn’t find that great of a pic but you can see it in the top right side of tge bucket with a black and white sticker on it. It’s not very big.
E5C4F87A-B3A3-4C8C-A550-869844ED154B.jpeg

34Willys

Bronze Member
Tractor
'92 Kioti LK3054 '18 Kioti CK2610HST
My tractor has the rod, but I've never figured out how to use it. How I level the bucket is drop it to the ground slightly curled back, than curl forward until the front of the tractor starts to lift up. Curl back until front stops lowering. Tip forward a bit to cut. Once you do this a couple of times, the hand eye coordination allows faster time than staring at a rod tip and it works at all elevations.
Patrick

Williy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT 235C Yannar YRC 60 rotary cutter, Yanmar RT72 rotary tiller B75 Backhoe & bucket & thumb, LS land grader
If you have the rod that goes up and down when using
the bucket the bend should be in the eyelet and the bucket should be flat other than that you can mark it
so you will know how the bucket sits

willy

meackerman

Tractor
Kubota B2910
on my LA402 FEL, its like the BX picture, just a simple piece of bent 1/4"(?) metal that the top is parallel to the bucket bottom. I've never felt the need for anything fancier, it works fine.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to fabricate one.

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
That's the same thing that our M59 Kubota has. It is bigger because the bucket top is bigger, but basically it is just like the one on the BX bucket picture in message #16.
It's just an L-shaped piece of metal with a black and white reflective tape on it. It is welded to the top of the bucket so it always has exactly the same angle as the bucket lip, and easy to see when using the loader.

It moves just like the bucket moves - and has no moving parts or adjustments. To me it seems more intuitive to use than the pipe and tube type of leveler.
rScotty

OzarkChris

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 Shuttle Cab
Cougsfan said "A camera would be nice, but I have no doubt I would destroy it in a hurry."

I use a camera that is attached just under the drip edge of the cab roof. This makes the camera high enough to see the bucket edge at ground level, but protected enough to keep the camera from being destroyed. Works really well for me.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
When I need to do "fine" work with my bucket (like matching up a clamp-on trailer hitch with the trailer) I'll put a camera on the bucket. I've used various cameras but lately I like to use a Wyze cam with magnetic brace and view it on my phone.

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I've also found that the indicator is only useful for one implement. Seems my loader bucket is different than the grapple is different than the rock bucket etc. I bought pack of various colored electrical tape so I could at least mark level on more than one thing.

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
I think a camera would be your best solution. They are cheap enough now that even if you were to break one it isn’t the end of the world. Visibility is one of the reasons why I always say for many things a skid steer is a better choice than a tractor.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I had one on my M6040. Never used it because I was seldom on level ground. Just curl - up/down - you will notice/feel when the bucket is flat on the ground.

So... eight years ago I got a grapple. Some how or other the rod slipped out of the holder bracket and became a pretzel. Added to the pile of misc "stuff". The holder bracket now serves as an attachment point for the bungee cords that hold up the hydraulic hoses for the grapple.
IMG_0001.jpeg

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
My last 4 tractors had bucket level indicators. I never needed them

Yesterday based on this thread I used the on my MX

Slowed me down

Andy

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
When I need to do "fine" work with my bucket (like matching up a clamp-on trailer hitch with the trailer) I'll put a camera on the bucket. I've used various cameras but lately I like to use a Wyze cam with magnetic brace and view it on my phone.
I do have Wyze cameras, but mine need 110 power. Also have to be in range of my wifi.

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Thanks for all the replies. Got a backup camera but sending it back as the monitor has to be plugged into a cigg lighter, don't want to cut wires as would void warranty.
Want one I can power monitor and cameras into ignition switch.

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
I will tell you this, Never buy from US AMPRIME TECHNOLOGY. I wanted to return as my tractor does not have a cig lighter to plug monitor into. This company has sent me 6 different emails, requesting me to take photos of box contents, photo of tractor, hook up camera and send photo of what is on monitor and they keep going on and on, hoping I will give up. Lucky for me I bought thru Walmart, Walmart has read all emails between me and US AMPRIME TECHNOLOGY and assured me I would get my 108.00 credited back to my cc. and said they would handle it from here on out, told me not to worry about it. The product was a Prodofo backup camera.

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
I will tell you this, Never buy from US AMPRIME TECHNOLOGY. I wanted to return as my tractor does not have a cig lighter to plug monitor into. This company has sent me 6 different emails, requesting me to take photos of box contents, photo of tractor, hook up camera and send photo of what is on monitor and they keep going on and on, hoping I will give up. Lucky for me I bought thru Walmart, Walmart has read all emails between me and US AMPRIME TECHNOLOGY and assured me I would get my 108.00 credited back to my cc. and said they would handle it from here on out, told me not to worry about it. The product was a Prodofo backup camera.
Good to know!

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
That is not the point. Lets say I hook it up and does not work, do you think I would be able to return. They have already shown their true cdolors.