Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower?

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Just wondering if anyone has a snow blower for their PT, either factory or adapted aftermarket, and if so, how do you like it?

And do you also have a plow and which one gets more use?

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower?
Or a bucket VS a blower. Just general PT snow blower discussion. :)

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #3  
It is 81 here in Jacksonville, Fl today.

I just hate all this heat, but I know you all love to play with your snow toys.

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #4  
Yup, here's mine:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...nverting-lawn-tractor-snow-6.html#post2661500

It's a converted model, so I can't comment on how it compares to the PT version. I use it mostly on the top, paved portion of my driveway. I use my ATV with a plow to clear the rest. The plow is raised up a inch or so to keep it from tearing up the driveway and pushing all the stone onto my lawn. The snowblower works better on the pavement since I can lower it down and scrape all the snow away.

I did use my snowblower when we got 14" a few weeks back. I took a pass down the driveway with it raised up about 4" and then did the rest with the ATV/plow. I also recently used the PT with bucket to move all the build up from several snow falls. The ATV can only push so much and this year has seen lots of snow and cold weather (no melting in between).

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #5  
I've thought about the snow blower attachment many times.......but every time I'm tempted I remember back to the snow blower I use to have and how it ate shear bolts because of the gravel drive........use to buy them in bulk. Didn't matter how high I set the blower...those stones would still get in there.

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #6  
You prefer using the ATV as compared to the PT? That really surprises me.

Ken

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #7  
You prefer using the ATV as compared to the PT? That really surprises me.

Ken
I already had the ATV with plow, so I didn't purchase the attachment for the PT. I believe it turned out the ATV is much, much faster for your average snow fall. My driveway is about 400', and two cars wide in most spots. I can plow at about 15 - 20 mph with the ATV. It also has big, lugged tires and my PT only has turf tires so it wins on grip too. Although, I think the PT with chains would win out due to the extra weight, but I don't want them tearing up the paved portion. Finally, the Honda ATV starts right up in the coldest weather without issue, every time... which is very, very nice, and it's good on fuel to boot. :)

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower?
I find that my turfs do really well on my paved driveway with the plow. However, if I get off on the sloping grass on one side and start pushing heavier loads, the PT will crab-walk fairly easily. It gets me by pretty well, though. My drive is only about 130' and one lane of asphalt, two nearer the garage. And a gravel parking area. And this year I'm doing my elderly neighbor's drive, which is 200' and all gravel.

The reason I ask about the snow blower is this is one of those rare years where I ran out of room to put the snow with the plow. I had to switch to the bucket and carry it to the back yard. The bucket is probably 2-3 times slower than the plow because it leaves rows as the bucket fills VS the plow always leaving one clean edge. I keep thinking about a blower, but cannot justify the cost VS the few years I'd use it since the plow is very good at what it does. A blower would allow me to move the snow much further away from the sides of the drive and not get those long rows of 5' high snow. Once you run out of space to push the snow, you're going to have to make long trips with the bucket.

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #9  
Yeah, I understand exactly what you are saying... it's been one of those years for me too and I had to use the bucket to lift and push the snow back. This was the first time I've had to do that since moving here. Luckily I could just lift the snow and dump it behind where it was originally, so I didn't have to move it somewhere else which would have taken way too much time.

You could look into finding a used 42" garden tractor blower and convert it using the motor from your finish mower. I did mine in such a way as I only have to remove two bolts and swap couplers. This snowblower won't do everything you wish it would, but with a paved driveway and going out a few times during big storms, it might work well enough for very little investment.

Good luck!

/ Anyone Have A Power Trac With A Snow Blower? #10  
I would think a snow blower would be a real pain in those situations where the wind blows it back into your face.

Ken