Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment?

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #1  

dusty3030

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010 Cab, Kioti RX7320 Powershuttle/ Cab, Kubota M7040 HDC, Kubota U35-4, John Deere 317G
I could use at least 6 of them to put on tractors, excavator, side by sides and a work truck.
I haven't been able to really figure out what to use and what to avoid in my web research.
Not looking to get killed in monthly fees either.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #2  
Was thinking about this just this morning. Tag for interest.

First thing that came to my mind was hiding some of those little apple AirTags but I don't know much about them.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #3  
I could use at least 6 of them to put on tractors, excavator, side by sides and a work truck.
I haven't been able to really figure out what to use and what to avoid in my web research.
Not looking to get killed in monthly fees either.
Do you want it for theft recovery, or just to know where the equipment is all the time?

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #4  
Apple Air Tag No monthly fees. Great reviews

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment?
Theft recovery. I'd like to get some kind of warning if it got on the run. At the home place not as concerned as at the other farms that are in the boonies.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #6  
The problem with Apple Airtags is that it alerts any apple devices that are near it that there is an AirTag near them. Then you can just take the battery out of it and it’s all over.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #7  
On my equipment trailer and tractor, I have a GPS. I would make these recommendations:
1. Get a tracker that has a reserve battery. One that will preferably last 3 or so days. This is because you want it to track AFTER theives cut the trailer battery source.
2. Get a 12 v system tracker that operates off the tractor or trailer battery.. Then I will tell you if there had been a power change or if the tractor has been started.
3. If it is on a tractor, trickle charge the tractor battery with a maintainer such a tender or Genisus. If a trailer, connect a solar controller and solar panel to maintain trailer battery and gps. If trailer, change brake system battery to good AGM battery - like a motorcycle battery.
4. There is not a good way to Hide a tracker and assume a thief can't find it. Mine is mounted on top of the toolbox with a formed kydex dome covering it secured with security bolts and nylon insert nuts. It is painted the same color as the tool box. Kydex can be heat formed at home and is really tough. This is thick Kydex, 0.1".
5. DO NOT get a tracker which operates on 2G or 3G. Get one that uses 4GLTE. And when they are available, maybe 5G.
6. Make sure the tracker had coverage where you want to use it. Probably the Big three - ATT, Verizon, or Tmobile.
7. If it is a tractor, I would install a ground cut off switch on the battery.

While you cannot prevent theft, you can make it time consuming and too risky to stay working one it. It is kinda like the two guys being chased by a bear. One guy says -you can't outrun that bear. The other guy replies - I don't have to outrun the bear, just have to outrun you. Make your equipment hard to deal with. And then, buy insurance which covers theft.

I use LoneStar tracking. Their software is easy and good, annual cost $49 annual for service. I think that is much higher now. Like everything else.
My trackers have geozone coverage, any movement alert, power change alert. I think mine are Titan wired. Best wishes

20190405_163737.jpg
DSC_0291.JPG

Last edited:
   / Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #8  
Theft insurance is cheaper than trackers. My trailer is insured for $6
k and costs $23 per 6 months and my Kubota Tractor insurance I think is about $450 a year.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #9  
If it is a tracker you seek Trackr is what I have used. You can set boundaries to set off an alarm. Not sure of price today but inexpensive for the 2 I have.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #10  
I bought 4 trackers from SVR Tracking a few months ago. These were recommended by a friend who owns a rental yard so I figured it was worth a try. If I remember right each unit was around $180 each up front but that included coverage for 3 or so years and was $40 a year after that timeframe. I have had quirks with them, especially if you are outside of cellphone range but in town they are pretty spot on. Since I leave machines on job sites a lot I felt it was worth the investment. It’s not so much insurance replacing the machine if it were stollen, it’s the time waiting for a replacement that would really hurt.

IMG_5977.JPG