Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions!

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I'm a retired Boeing engineer, now going on 6 years. It's starting to get stale doing the same thing pretty much every day here on my farm and need to do something different. I've been watching Andrew Camarata's dirt working videos on youtube. And one of the things I do enjoy about my farm is working on and continually improving the one mile gravel road I live on. Plus, I'd like to earn some "toy money" so I can buy more guns, ammo and reloading supplies (I have two rifle ranges and one pistol range on my property - shooting be expensive Yo).

So I'd like to get a job helping a small contractor who does excavation, backhoe, gravel and other type dirt jobs. I'd prefer part time as well.

I would envision my role as one of support: driving a truck to and fro, maybe running a skid steer moving dirt while they did the primary digging. In other words, the opposite of "dig a trench and if you hit a gas line you'll kill a thousand people" type jobs.

I'm not gonna lie: I've never operated heavy equipment before, just my Kubota L4330 tractor (well plus my cousin's big JD combine, but that was in the late 70's). I've looked into getting a TN Class B CDL (able to operate +26k lb vehicles) and I can take the knowledge test ok, but can't take the skills test since I don't have a +26k lb machine to test on. Not sure what to do there, if anything. In addition, I'm +63 years old, worn tore up knees and recovering from a broken back: I won't be digging ditches or bailing hay any time soon.

On the positive side: As a retired person, my schedule would be pretty flexible. Plus, having worked at Boeing +32 years, if I say I'm going to show up for work, then I show up; undrunk and unhungover.

If you're in the dirt work business as described above, would you even consider hiring someone like me without heavy equipment experience? What advice would you give to someone to approach a dirt works contractor?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #2  
Your post really struck a note. Interested in the replies you get. I too have considered what I'll do when I retire. I've considered clearing work, driving a truck or tractor for a local farmer, even driving the fuel truck for the local co-op...

I would think in today's time, any contractor would be lucky to find someone who'd show up regularly and actually want to work.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #3  
I watched many of that guys videos as well. I wish, he would mention prices, on equipment and jobs. To me, that's as important as anything else.

I have found that few want to hire a part time guy. They don't want you to have your own things happening, they want to own you, 40 hours a week! That's just what I have found. Maybe, they get tired of the part time guy never being available on short notice or when they need him. Not quite sure.

Years ago, I had hired some old guys on a job by job basis. They were just too slow and could not understand the fast hectic pace required in make money in the small private sector. Help is good. Slow help isn't.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #4  
You’ll need a class A CDL unless you only plan on driving dump trucks. You’re limited to a 9,999 pound trailer with a class b and that’s pretty useless in the heavy truck world. Finding good help is impossible so I think that part of your plan will work out.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #5  
I will probably do the same thing in a number of years. I also saw that companies are hiring older people more than young people out of college because they are more reliable and better with people. I say go for it. You could even rent a skid steer loader for a few weekends to get the hang of using it before you start.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions!
Your post really struck a note. Interested in the replies you get. I too have considered what I'll do when I retire. I've considered clearing work, driving a truck or tractor for a local farmer, even driving the fuel truck for the local co-op...

I would think in today's time, any contractor would be lucky to find someone who'd show up regularly and actually want to work.

That's another idea I have. No CDL required for farm trucks (usually).

I watched many of that guys videos as well. I wish, he would mention prices, on equipment and jobs. To me, that's as important as anything else.

I have found that few want to hire a part time guy. They don't want you to have your own things happening, they want to own you, 40 hours a week! That's just what I have found. Maybe, they get tired of the part time guy never being available on short notice or when they need him. Not quite sure.

Years ago, I had hired some old guys on a job by job basis. They were just too slow and could not understand the fast hectic pace required in make money in the small private sector. Help is good. Slow help isn't.

While I fully understand the concept, +32 years working secondhand for the Fed Gov't: schedules were always "flexible". It will be a change in pace, no doubt about that.

You’ll need a class A CDL unless you only plan on driving dump trucks. You’re limited to a 9,999 pound trailer with a class b and that’s pretty useless in the heavy truck world. Finding good help is impossible so I think that part of your plan will work out.

True.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #9  
I have a best friend that does small earth projects,, landscaping,, etc,,,

he used to hire guys like you,, not any more,,
Now,, 100% of the people want to subcontract the work, they are their own boss,,

That is a good thing, if the subcontractor goofs off,, he makes nothing,,
if he works hard,, he makes MORE than good money,,

times are a changing,, :cool2:
be ready to be flexible when you start looking for work,,,

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #10  
I just realized,, my friends business name is Dirt Works,, very similar to the thread title,,,