Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series?

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #11  
I destroyed a headlight yesterday when a 5" limb fell backwards out of the front bucket and got wedged behind the grill guard. Headlight didn't have a chance. The plastic grill flexed and had no damage at all. It's rare for something to fall backwards out of my bucket, but there is certainly a big wide open area at the top of the grill guard that offers no protection from stuff that drops out of the bucket. I may see if I can remedy that.

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #12  
The one caution I see with expanded metal is with little children walking around and exploring the tractors in the barn. You know how they like to stick their fingers in everthing. And any expanded metal that I have ever worked with had really sharp edges that can produce some nasty cuts.

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #14  
Sorry for old thread, searching got frustrating: What gauge expanded metal? Gonna weld one of these up soon. Looked at stores today and everything was 13 gauge. That seemed light with 3/4 inch diamond holes, but quite rigid at half-inch holes. What's good for this? Thanks

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #15  
Expanded metal is pretty tuff if welded at edges. Do lots of grapple brush handling. Wanted tougher on the M59 so got a piece of gravel screen from the scrapyard. Had 3-4” spring poles whack it when stacking piles with no damage. Kubota made a bonnet protector for the front grill that gave great protection for FEL work. Nice shelf when servicing too.

Also time to add 3x6” bumper, hooks and 1” tie down ring. Adds protection for front axle from stumps and rocks.
IMG_2018.JPG

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #16  
Looks good. Yeah, the smaller hole stuff seemed pretty tough.

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #17  
Expanded sheet or perforated sheet are readily available for DIY. Or if you know any fabricators, you can get 1/8" sheet CNC any style/shape you wish.

I chose the latter......

View attachment 583597
Don't much care for that. Blocks air flow way too much. I'd use expanded metal over that anyday.

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #18  
After reviewing many sources, think I'll skip the small-hole, 8-gauge stuff. Likely stiff enough, but now believe it better to go with perhaps 1-inch openings, but in a heavier gauge, maybe 8 or 9, see what's available. Better headlight/air penetration methinks.

/ Anyone know of better grill guard protection for an L Series? #20  
Think about making different uses of materials like Smokeydog. He's got that solid material at the bottom that protects very well and supports his tow hooks without impeding air flow. Very clever to use gravel screen at the top, too.

One thing you might do is to get down on ground level and actually look at your grill from a ground level perspective to see what's most exposed. Solid metal at the bottom can deflect some stuff without affecting air flow.