Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #1  

Mickey_Fx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204
Looks like I have a wiring harness issue on my Cub. After 10 yrs, corrosion has set in on a short harness who's principle purpose appears to be to add a socket for what looks like a relay of some kind.

I'm not sure whether the harness is a Kohler part or a Cub part. There is a tag on the harness with a P/N of 629-3076. In addition to the harness I'm in need of the solenoid.

Oh, the Engine is a Kohler Command series, CH20S and the Cub is a 3xxx series.

Hopefully you can see the corrosion on the socket located at mid-point. The tractor came from the factory with electrical tape bridging/sealing the socket and relay. The red wire goes to the battery term on the starter solenoid and the green wire is a ground connection. One terminal on the solenoid has completely rusted off and is stuck in the socket housing.

Not quite sure what all this relay does but the wiring for the carb fuel shutoff solenoid isn't getting any power. If I jumper power to the solenoid, engine starts and runs just fine.

Reason for the question is there are no Cub dealers close by where I'm living now. I stand a better chance of getting a new harness locally if the harness is a Kohler part.

I'd appreciate any light you can shine on this harness and solenoid.

Attachments

• kohler wiring.jpg
    kohler wiring.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 246
   / Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #2  
The part number listed doesn't show up on the cub website, but from the part format is a cub cadet part. I would say the box is a circuit breaker which acts like a fuse. May be able to replace that socket with just a fuse and get everything to work correctly.

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #3  
Looks like I have a wiring harness issue on my Cub. After 10 yrs, corrosion has set in on a short harness who's principle purpose appears to be to add a socket for what looks like a relay of some kind.

I'm not sure whether the harness is a Kohler part or a Cub part. There is a tag on the harness with a P/N of 629-3076. In addition to the harness I'm in need of the solenoid.

Oh, the Engine is a Kohler Command series, CH20S and the Cub is a 3xxx series.

Hopefully you can see the corrosion on the socket located at mid-point. The tractor came from the factory with electrical tape bridging/sealing the socket and relay. The red wire goes to the battery term on the starter solenoid and the green wire is a ground connection. One terminal on the solenoid has completely rusted off and is stuck in the socket housing.

Not quite sure what all this relay does but the wiring for the carb fuel shutoff solenoid isn't getting any power. If I jumper power to the solenoid, engine starts and runs just fine.

Reason for the question is there are no Cub dealers close by where I'm living now. I stand a better chance of getting a new harness locally if the harness is a Kohler part.

I'd appreciate any light you can shine on this harness and solenoid.

I uploaded 2 3235 schematics. The 2001 diagram shows a relay that I interpret as being energized via the safety interlock switches and opening/closing the circuit from the alternator output to the battery. The 2002 diagram looks like the relay was eliminated. You didn't say what model/year your tractor is but perhaps you can eliminate the relay.

Bob B.View attachment 3235.pdfView attachment 323.pdf

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue
Thanks for the info and link Bob. The link was for the 02 model. I have a couple schematics from Kohler showing what looks like 2 diodes inserted into the circuit in place of the relay.

Think I have things in hand now. Was able to salvage the relay socket. Got things cleaned but had difficulty getting the terminal for the battery connection fixed. Spade from the relay broken off flush. Will have to replace the female half of the connection as it was rusted too bad to salvage. Doing a lot of looking the relay appears to be a very common relay used in a number of cars.

Likely could find a relay at local auto parts store IF one could find someone with knowledge that goes beyond what make/model/yr of car. Also found I can order one from either Allied or Newark and priced in the $5 range.

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #5  
Glad you're making progress. There's actually 2 links - they kind of piled on top of each other in the post. The 2002 diagram is w/o the relay and the 2001 shows the relay.
Bob

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #6  
The wiring connectors have been a failure prone area for lo these many years. On my 2135, I had to rewire the entire system. In the process, I installed better switches and got rid of several of the troublesome interlocks. This type modification is not for everyone, but before rewiring, I could never be certain my mower would start, would run, would engage the mower deck. After, no problems.

jack vines

Bought pair of relays from Allied. $8.50 for the pair but after all the gotcha's total bill came to $21.

Right now just waiting for parts to arrive.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the links. Have been wanting to find a complete schematic. Sure helps when trying to trace down wiring issues.

Last edited:
Relays arrived yesterday afternoon. One is now installed on the tractor. That half of the problem is complete. Now waiting on a replacement VR that bit the dust as well as the relay. Should have the VR shortly.

Fuel solenoid gets power from 2 sources. Initially from the ign switch which connects to the starter solenoid. As soon as the engine is running and starter no longer in use, power comes from the Alt output. If no output from the Alt/VR, engine stops in a couple seconds.

Complete problem should be behind me in the next day or two. Just need the new VR.

/ Anyone KNow? Wiring harness issue #9  
Are you sure the voltage regulator is bad, Kohler has had problem with grounds on the voltage regulator. If not grounded will not work, also if there is not 12v going to the battery prong on the regulator it won't work either. Requires 12v to open an electronic switch to provide power for charging. So if no battery power to regulator then no output.

Are you sure the voltage regulator is bad, Kohler has had problem with grounds on the voltage regulator. If not grounded will not work, also if there is not 12v going to the battery prong on the regulator it won't work either. Requires 12v to open an electronic switch to provide power for charging. So if no battery power to regulator then no output.

Learn something new everyday. Appears the VR is a more complex design than I had thought.

Secondary problem now fixed. Turned out to be the connector for the ign switch. Terminals corroded and one with an intermittent connection. Wouldn't you just know it the one terminal with the intermittent connection was the important one for this problem. All male terminals now clean and replaced all the female terminals. Starts and runs like new.

Have also been applying dielectric grease to all the contact.