Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts?

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #11  
I think the biggest problem is people no longer respect the concept of a stop sign. So a 4 way stop with an low island in the middle seams to be a better alternative. That is, to stop people from running the stop signs. And I hope some one comes up with a way to enforce "Right on Red" laws. Somehow the "after coming to a full stop" part has gotten lost.

I like the concept of traffic circles but the implementation stinks in most of them here in Fl. The diameter on most is to small to allow for a truck and trailer of any size to fit. And the multi-lane ones are to small to allow the move over to the inside lane and then get back to exit.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #12  
Try Boston, where I have seen someone go 60mph+ through a four lane 35mph roundabout, using both lanes. The wrong way.

Personally, I like them, but they do take getting used to and they do more less require courteous drivers.

All the best,

Peter

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #13  
One of the first 2 lane traffic circles in the city, caused an increase the number of accidents by 100% so Raleigh city dot had to change it to only one lane. They still have plenty of accidents but not sure if they have gone down...

I love to watch a noob who will stop in the circle to let another driver into the circle. For the record, when traffic backs up into a circle ALL traffic comes to a complete halt.

After people get used to them, yea they work OK... I saw tonight a driver that STOPPED before the circle even though no one was even in the circle. Had no clue what to do... or what a yield sign means.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #14  
Roundabouts near international airports are fun when arrivals from "other side of the road" countries, hop into a hire-car...

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #15  
I think they're great in theory. Often in practice, however, they suck.

Unfortunately I think too many of them are too small, because cities try to shoehorn them into a preexisting intersection without changing anything else; too small of a roundabout with any appreciable traffic is indistinguishable from a 2-way stop until someone gets really gutsy and goes for it.

We've got one intersection here in town near the high school which most of the day gets... perhaps 10 cars per minute? maybe... and at that rate, a roundabout would be vastly preferable to the really poorly timed light it's got. However, the light probably works pretty well during the crush immediately before and after school, but this could be solved by placing a traffic officer in the middle of the roundable helping govern it.

When I've driven overseas where there were more of them, I had no issues, though I'll admit I haven't driving in Swindon. Though as David St Hubbins sang, can't go back to Swindon, so I guess I'm safe.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #16  
On a separate note... Another circle as it was being built... an 18 wheeler didn't like the circle at all. It had dozens of cones around the circle. The 18 wheeler driver did a complete circle (collecting about a dozen cones under his truck) before exiting (basically doing a 360* circle). He stopped a few 100 yards down the street to extract a half dozen cones before continuing on down the road with the rest of the cones still lodged under his trucks axle...

I guess he made his statement clear about the round-a-bouts!!!

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #17  
Spare a thought for the Poms at Swindon:

View attachment 714390
Is this for real? Do I see 5 separate roundabouts within the larger one? Not sure, which side of the road is on? Right hand like USA? I would probably find a different way around that mes. Jon

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #18  
These are apparently designed in 2D for people operating in 3D without the same perspective.

Stop sign? "Nobody's looking."

Often said to LEO when pulled over for speeding, "I didn't see you."

Last edited:
   / Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #19  
When I worked in Middle East, traffic circles were extremely common. They were everywhere. For light to medium traffic, the traffic circles worked fine. But for speedy heavy traffic, they were dangerous and serious bottlenecks to traffic flow.

As Middle East grew in the last 20 years, traffic flow became quite high and so traffic circles became inefficient. It was not uncommon for 50 car backups and many accidents. Road rage incidents almost always occurred at traffic circles. So entry lights (Red/Green) were added to the traffic circles and controlled entry into the circle on a timed rotation basis. This cleared up many problems, but eventually, some circles were removed in favor of convention intersections.