Anyone make a spline alignment tool?

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #12  
When I started with tractors about 20 years ago, PTO attachment used to be a cursing session. Now I don't even think about it. It is just a couple of seconds to get it on. I can remember dreading hooking up the PTO.. Not any more.. I think part of it is just familiarity with doing it.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #13  
As Chim said, turn the tractors PTO stub shaft, not the implement shaft. The PTO stub will easily spin in it's normal direction of rotation. If you have a mid mount PTO as well, select it and the rear PTO stub will spin either way. At least it does on my JD. And shut the tractor off first!

On many modern tractors the PTO shaft will not turn by hand....there is a brake that gets applied any time the engine isn't running, and the PTO is engaged. It's also annoying...

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #14  
Just found this and considering buying one
$19.99 plus shipping. Anybody have one?

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #15  
Just found this and considering buying one
$19.99 plus shipping. Anybody have one?

Looks like that would be only work if your PTO doesn't have a shield around it. Would be pretty awkward on my tractors.

I second the pry-bar / large screwdriver through the implement universal joint on the end of the PTO shaft. Makes it very easy to tweak the alignment from the accessible end of the business.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #16  
Just curious, my big tractor, Kubota L4610, I can spin the pto stub to line up the splines. On my little tractor, Kubota B2630, you cannot spin the pto stub by hand to align the splines.

The B2630 is an all hydraulic tractor and whatever I do, putting everything in neutral, the shaft will not spin by hand. I have to use the big screwdriver method or spin a blade on the implement. This makes it harder to hook up a pto implement.

I have owned several tractors but this is the only tractor I have owned that I cannot spin the pto stub. Is this the nature of the beast on these all hydraulic models or am I overlooking something?
If you can 'spin' the stub more than 1/4 turn with the PTO lever not engaged, your PTO brake is shot. Kubota's have notoriously weak PTO brakes, why I ALWAYS run an over running coupler when I'm using my shredder or any implement that can inertia freewheel when the PTO is disengaged. Once the PTO brake is shot, the stub will rotate all the time the tractor is running, PTO engaged or not.

No spin, brake good. Spin, brake shot. If you want to turn the stub on the tractor with the good brake, stop the engine, engage the PTO lever and turn it. Just remember it's engaged before you start the motor (provided the safety interlock is working, it won't start anyway.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #17  
Looks like that would be only work if your PTO doesn't have a shield around it. Would be pretty awkward on my tractors.

I second the pry-bar / large screwdriver through the implement universal joint on the end of the PTO shaft. Makes it very easy to tweak the alignment from the accessible end of the business.
On my old Massey I could simply spin the stub shaft to line it up. My Kioti is one that locks the shaft as others have mentioned. An additional challenge is my new RCD1884 dual spindle rotary cutter has an offset gearbox so I have to apply force at 2 different angles to both extend the tube and push the collar straight onto the shaft at the same time. Getting better with practice but certainly not as easy as a simple straight push like my old SQ60.

(stock photo)
1656073505694.png

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #19  
There is no way to put the pto in neutral on tractors that have an electrical pto switch, so I just turn the driveshaft on the cutter.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #20  
I just flip my PTO level from either 540 or 540E to Neutral and can free spin the shaft easily. Other tractors may be able to flip the PTO lever to mid PTO (if equipped) and achieve the same result.