Anyone mix R-4's with Turf?

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
I know it's a crazy question but, I'm a crazy kind of guy..:eek: :rolleyes: I have brand new turfs on my BX right now but, I have the original set of R-4's in the shed.

I was thinking of maybe putting the R-4's in the back and leaving the turfs on the front. Didn't like the front end vibration of the front R-4 tires on my 150 ft asphalt driveway.

Thinking on the back R-4;s might dig in and improve off road traction. They are the same size rims so, can't see where mixing would be a problem in 4x4 mode. What do you guys say?? :cool:

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #4  
Hmmm guess I better wait until I'm sure then, thanks...:rolleyes:;)

If the tire height is the same, than no problem! I know on my B7500 the tractor sits higher on the turf tires than the Ag tires. If you got the other tires handy match them up side by side, a board on top with a level on it helps, if it don't give the tire sizes on the sidewall of the tire!!

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf?
If the tire height is the same, than no problem! I know on my B7500 the tractor sits higher on the turf tires than the Ag tires. If you got the other tires handy match them up side by side, a board on top with a level on it helps, if it don't give the tire sizes on the sidewall of the tire!!
Ya, I'll have to check it out this weekend thanks..;)

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #6  
\

I was thinking of maybe putting the R-4's in the back and leaving the turfs on the front. Didn't like the front end vibration of the front R-4 tires on my 150 ft asphalt driveway.

Thinking on the back R-4;s might dig in and improve off road traction. They are the same size rims so, can't see where mixing would be a problem in 4x4 mode. What do you guys say?? :cool:
One of my bx1500s has turfs the other one has AGs.

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #7  
I had mine like that for a short while when shifting from R4s to turfs.
The rears were loaded and it took me a little while to figure how I was going to handle ~1,000 lb wheel/tire/rimguard assemblies.
If you don't use 4WD on good traction surfaces there shouldn't be a problem with lead/lag.
If you use 4WD (in sand or dirt) and find you have a problem keeping a straight line the chances are that the circumference of the front tires is too small, i.e. you have lag (bad).

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #8  

Use the level method, the tire sizes might be the same, but the tread heights might be different. Same would apply if you would mix old and new tores from the front to the back. You want them to be in the same size ratio when using 4wd. If you don't you will either be pushing the front or pulling the back, either one is not good.

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf?
Guess I better not take the chance. Just got done with a front axle repair. What a pain in the ars... don't want to go that route again. :cool: Thanks for the input...;)

/ Anyone mix R-4's with Turf? #10  
On my BX2200, I change from turfs to bar tires in the front for winter. Rears get chains.

The bar tires are much more useful in the snow.

The circumference is the same for my particular sizes.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New 10' Office Container (A34302)
New 10' Office...
New MIVA VA13 Mini Excavator (A34302)
New MIVA VA13 Mini...
2018 Case IH Magnum 340 MFWD Tractor (A33783)
2018 Case IH...
(5) LEFT & (5) RIGHT RAKE WHEELS... (A34808)
(5) LEFT & (5)...
1018 Z930M JOHN DEERE ZERO TURN MOWER W/7 IRON PRO 60 MOWER DECK 24X12.00X12 299HRS S/N:1TC930MCC... (A34733)
1018 Z930M JOHN...
2022 KMC Stalk Chopper (A33113)
2022 KMC Stalk...