Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year?

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #21  
We have only one walnut, and it was full of nuts...but the pecans seemed to drop their nuts before ripe...we did have a long dry period during the peak nut production period. Acorns and hickory nuts look about average.

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #22  
Walnuts are paying 15 bucks a hundred pounds where I am. The property that I sold last spring had a tree that dropped them in my horse pasture. Usually I just blew them off into the woods but I had a friend who was down on his luck. Learning that he was picking up walnuts to sell, instead of blowing them into the woods I picked them up in plastic shopping bags then placed the bags in some plastic totes. I put them in the car trunk figuring on dropping them off at his place the next morning.

Oh' boy, was I ever glad that I put the bags in plastic totes! Darn things were full of maggots!

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #23  
I have lots of them. Picked up this cracker 1013171807.jpg

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #24  
I don't have any walnuts, but the live oak tree in our front yard produced an unbelievable quantity of tiny acorns this year. I still haven't decided what I should do about getting some of them up and out of the yard.

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #26  
I have an ancient Walnut and a 20 some year old Pecan. I have never beaten the squirrels to any of the nuts, but Haven't noticed much difference this year, although it seems the squirrels have left a lot of shell fragments around. The Oaks, however, have dropped a ton of acorns.

When I was a kind in SW Missouri, we had lots of Walnuts. My Grand Dad loved them, and paid me $1.00 of every gunny sack full I picked up, so I made a few bucks in the Fall. This was about 1950, so a buck was big money for me. He had long driveway, and he would dump them out in the drive. Running over them for a week or two would shuck all the green husks off and he was good to go! I don't know how he cracked them, but I know he probably had plenty of Walnuts to keep him busy during the Winter.

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #28  
I have never seen the amount of walnuts being produced this year. Anyone else noticed how abundant they are? If a fellow wanted to work his a** off, get black hands, all for a very limited payoff, the opportunity is there. Not me. If my wife needs walnuts for Christmas baking, she knows which isle to go to in the grocery store.

I'm in south central Pa & unfortunately the previous owner planted black walnut trees. I have about 20. I have never seen so many walnuts as this year.
IMG_0272.JPG

/ Anyone notice an abundance of walnuts this year? #30  
We filled a bucket a few weeks ago when visiting the VA mountains -- it was a bumper crop this year. Processed them and put them in my garage to dry. I may crack a couple tomorrow and see how they taste.