Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener?

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #11  
I have 2 sets of blades. One is sharp hanging on the wall, the other is on the mower. When I think they need sharpening, I just swap them out and keep cutting. When I have time, I sharpen and balance the spare set and hang them back on the wall. A bench grinder is what I use for the mower blades. An angle grinder is what I use for the brush cutter blades.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #12  
wow lots of $$ just to sharpen blades.
we have a large area of grass. not a golf course, just country.

sharpen a couple times a year with a large hand file. If really bad I use a 4" grinder to reshape and then file.. My wife (the mower) knows where all the rocks are and I dont think ever has missed 1.
Replace blades as needed. Grass always looks nice when freshly mowed.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #13  
I have 2 sets of blades. One is sharp hanging on the wall, the other is on the mower. When I think they need sharpening, I just swap them out and keep cutting. When I have time, I sharpen and balance the spare set and hang them back on the wall. A bench grinder is what I use for the mower blades. An angle grinder is what I use for the brush cutter blades.
All well and good but in my scenario with sandy loam, The kick up on the back side of the blades gets worn to the point where it literally fractures off. Takes about one mowing season and the blades are shot.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #14  
Anyone have an electric mower blade sharpening machine and if so, how do you like it? What kind do you have and are they worth the price of $400 to over $1,000? How often do you sharpen blades? Would you buy one again?
I've a Chef's Choice 300. It has 4 different places to run the knife through. Not sure what they all are. Use it for the knives down here in my basement kitchen. Not sure it's any better than the simple 2 tiny file thing behind a handle and guard that I use in the main kitchen.

Got the CC300 at an estate sale; I think. Not really sure how it showed up.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #15  
I use a small jig from a small business guy on eBay. Strap in my angle grinder with 40 grit flap wheel and all is good.
63874290887__C5F13769-B00B-4665-8809-259FECEBAEAC.jpg

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #16  
That is a dream grinder but too pricey for me. I'm looking at the Oregon 1/2 HP or even 1/3 HP model. Keeps me around $400. Any more is hard to justify but I do love the look of the lawn with a new Grasshopper blade. Best looking cut I've seen and not sure why. Maybe because they're so thick?

Option B is a hand held grinder or flap disc and new blades every other year. I would like to sharpen 5-6 times a summer and keep things balanced.

All I cut is grass. No sand, no rocks and I've outgrown accidentally mowing down errant shrubs. So just a dull edge with no nicks.
The big Oregon wheel grinder or my current Oregon/Burrking 760 belt grinder are outside the use of anybody other than a repair shop like myself or a golf course that does hundreds of blades a year. the smaller wheel grinder would be a good option for somebody that just does a few blades a year.

Cadillac of blade sharpening

1624059154704.png

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #17  
A mower blade is a fairly crude instrument. A strip sander, angle grinder, bench grinder, bent sander or pretty much anything will get the job done.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #18  
A mower blade is a fairly crude instrument. A strip sander, angle grinder, bench grinder, bent sander or pretty much anything will get the job done.

I agree with this and it’s what I do. Whatever us most convenient.

I also balance them but - to be honest - they have never been out-of-balance after sharpening.

I sharpen at the end of the mowing season and then again on June 30.

MoKelly

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #20  
All well and good but in my scenario with sandy loam, The kick up on the back side of the blades gets worn to the point where it literally fractures off. Takes about one mowing season and the blades are shot.
I have Tyner soil. It's about as sandy loam as you can get. I sharpen my blades a couple times a year, and replace them as the back ends wear off like you say. I find that if I keep them sharp, the back side of the blade lasts longer. I generally get 3-4 years out of them.