Anyone use or have one of these?

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Ok, all you pro welders out there. I'm sure you’re going to snicker, and I know it's a weak sister, but I have read it will weld up to 3mm steel if you go slowly maybe even 4 if you make up to 3 passes. I'm guessing 12% duty cycle means about a minute at a time before you have to shut it down to cool off ??

Has anyone bought one and what can be done with it? The price is right for a quick starter and some practice. I have a few attachments I want to make one being a grapple. I've already started working on the grapple using scrap metal that has some welding already done to it. I may not even need a welder to complete it, but I think it's time I bought a welder of some sort so I can start practicing for future projects :eek:

I don’t have 230 wired into my garage as of yet. What you say? Could I get any kind of practical use out of a 90 amp? :confused: Thanks Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #2  
I don't know this unit, buy two, and you double the duty cycle. Blow a big fan at it while using and waiting for cool down and you can do even better.

/ Anyone use or have one of these?
BobRip said:
I don't know this unit, buy two, and you double the duty cycle. Blow a big fan at it while using and waiting for cool down and you can do even better.
Thanks Bob, now is there a unit that can still run off of 110 / 115 Volts but higher than 90 amps?? What is the highest I can go?? With out having to wire in a 230 circuit breaker?? :eek: I don't know much about Mig welders or welding...

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #4  
BobRip said:

maybe you could hook them up in parallel and weld 12mm.:rolleyes:

cqaigy2 said:
maybe you could hook them up in parallel and weld 12mm.:rolleyes:
Some good ideas here if it can be done? This is a reconditioned unit hopefully it even works If I buy it. ;)

BobRip said:
Being Harbor freight. I'm sure it's cheap junk, but at least it would be something to get me started. :rolleyes:

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #7  
Barryh said:
Being Harbor freight. I'm sure it's cheap junk, but at least it would be something to get me started. :rolleyes:

Use it right after you get it and keep taking it back if it fails. They are supposed to be pretty good at taking them back. Not much to loose.

Seriously, on my Lincoln 135 amp MIG, I aim a metal bladed fan (metal blades indicate more air flow in my experience) at the cooling slots and it does help with the duty cycle and I can start using it sooner after a shutdown. I don't MIG weld anymore, but this worked when I did.

BobRip said:
Use it right after you get it and keep taking it back if it fails. They are supposed to be pretty good at taking them back. Not much to loose.

Seriously, on my Lincoln 135 amp MIG, I aim a metal bladed fan (metal blades indicate more air flow in my experience) at the cooling slots and it does help with the duty cycle and I can start using it sooner after a shutdown. I don't MIG weld anymore, but this worked when I did.
So your 135 amp ran off of 120 Volt?? And would weld up to 1/2 mild steel?? That’s pretty darn good. The one I'm looking at is flux cored wire only. So explain the benefit of, or purpose of added Gas?? Is this something I need to do any serious any welding ?? :eek:

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #9  
Barryh said:
So your 135 amp ran off of 120 Volt?? And would weld up to 1/2 mild steel?? That’s pretty darn good. The one I'm looking at is flux cored wire only. So explain the benefit of, or purpose of added Gas?? Is this something I need to do any serious any welding ?? :eek:

No, it ran on 220 volts. I did not weld 1/2 inch steel. I guess you could keep making passes and weld any thickness. I routinely welded 1/4 inch or a little thicker.

With gas you do not have to clean off the flux on the weld after welding. I think you are OK with the flux. You can still do serious welding with flux, although I have no experience with it.

I usually ran a step or two below full capacity so I think 90 amps will be OK. Just slower. Buy a unit and practice. If you really get into it you can spend more and you only lost $100. You can probably sell the old unit for something, so maybe not even that much. I think my welder originally sold for $1200, plus you had to get guages and a tank. So this is a huge step up.

Many people recommend that you take a class at a community college. I did not, but I have read a couple of books. Try "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch. Lowe's sells it and others too. I recommend it. Do this before you buy a welder. They have a 125 amp welder pictured that runs on 120 volts, but I don't know the current of the 120 volts circuit, but it says household current.

/ Anyone use or have one of these? #10  
First, I bought a used Lincoln AC/DC 220 for $100 on Craigs List. I know it is not Mig, but it works, and works really, well.

Second, I don't have time for classes (it is not that I don't have time, I just usually only get 24 hour notice before I start to work these days, so spending money on a class is not great). My friends have given me a few pointers, but I went and bought the DVD's from Northern Tool on welding and I have to say they are really good. Combined with friends and time and patience, I think they were a really great purchase.

Carl

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2023 BOBCAT T550 (A33544)
2023 BOBCAT T550...
John Deere 662 Hay Rake (A33041)
John Deere 662 Hay...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
John Deere 540M Front-end Loader (A33041)
John Deere 540M...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
New DeWalt 4 1/2" Small Angle Grinder - D28402 (A33349)
New DeWalt 4 1/2"...