Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #21  
I saw something on tv a long time ago about controlling rats in urban areas, might have been NY or London?

They had this terrier? dog that broke some record, 2000 rats in 1 hour....or something crazy.

The guy said hands down, it's the best way to do it. Looked like the dog was having fun!
Probably NYC. There are a couple clubs there that take their small dogs out to hunt rats at night. Never a shortage of rats to be killed.

One of our dogs, the biggest of all of them at around 80 lbs, would be found with a squirrel in his mouth. No idea how he constantly came across them. They clearly have the advantage in that they can climb slightly higher than he can. None the less.... he was ruthless with them. (never saw him with a mouse.... perhaps not big enough to entice him?) By contrast, I've never seen any of our cats (we're on our 3rd here) ever catch a squirrel yet the earth bound dog had them many times. Can't say however, that he caught them, never witnessed that.
That same dachshund of mine killed a squirrel once and I saw it happen. She’s only about 8 pounds and got that squirrel against a wall. The squirrel zigged when it should have zagged and it was all over.

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #22  
I saw something on tv a long time ago about controlling rats in urban areas, might have been NY or London?

They had this terrier? dog that broke some record, 2000 rats in 1 hour....or something crazy.

The guy said hands down, it's the best way to do it. Looked like the dog was having fun!
There was a recent piece on some terriers in NY city. They are right up there with dachshunds and ferrets.

Apparently in the late 1800s, the preferred way to remove a rat infestation in a building was to dig a small trench around the building, position terriers along the trench and then turn loose a ferret on the top floor. Rats are apparently terrified of ferrets, and the mere presence of the ferret would cause the rats to cascade downward and flee the building. The terriers would take over.

This was thought to be less humane than poison and the practice was discontinued...

Urban rat populations are mind boggling, at least to me. When they undergrounded the freeway, "The Big Dig" in downtown Boston, they estimated that they would displace a billion rats. It was thought to be too costly to kill the rats, and dispose of the carcasses, so they just let the construction drive the rats into the adjacent buildings. More here. They still have a maintenance department that does nothing besides control the rat population, complete with a rodent biologist.

Did I mention that I am glad not to live in an old urban building?

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #23  
This is an interesting topic that brings up bad memories from a-hole neighbor whose 3 dogs barked at through the fence every time I walked in my yard. I looked at every conceivable pest control (short of poisoning) and there several products I would have tried had I stayed. The cheap high pitched "repellants" you find on Amazon are a joke.
Fortunately I moved to the country and should thank those a-holes next time I see them as I couldn't be happier now. :)

Dog repellant

Canine control

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #24  
My pests here - mice & chipmunks. I've tries most everything EXCEPT ultra sonics. What works best - barn cat. I'm still looking to get more barn cats. Something ate the last one - coyote or owl.

Interim solution - - mice, I use traps and Peppermint oil. Chipmunks - 12 gauge. I get tired of playing "dodge ball" with the 'munks and my 22.

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #25  
I was out tapping maple trees a few years ago and noticed my dog was playing with something. Walking over I discovered that he had a live flying squirrel, which was thoroughly soaked with dog drool. I have no idea where he found it or if the animal was sick before he started playing with it, but it sure was unhealthy by the time I got there. I made him leave it alone, but suspect the squirrel didn't survive.

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #26  
If you look up ANY independent lab results on ultra-sonic pest control, they all say that these devices don't work long term. They do seem to have some effectiveness for the first few days, but then the mice/rats acclimate to the sound.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1033&context=nwrcrepellants

The FTC routinely goes after Ultra-Sonic Pest device makers for false advertising.

Marketer of Pest Control Devices Required to Provide Support for Claims

There must be some sort of loop hole the device makers are using to continue selling in the USA.

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #27  
Hi there. Thank you for the provided info. I've been living in Australia for 4 years, and, you know, I've already seen a lot of things. Tbh I'm really afraid of spiders. I have a friend who works at a pest control service https://enviropcs.com.au/, so I call them twice a year to get rid of insects in my house. So, now I'm living my happy life without any spiders at home. Btw, once we had to get rid of fleas. I remember my daughter's joke about fleas: what do you call a cheerful flea? A hop-timist! I really like that one. So, I hope I've helped you. Keep us updated

Last edited:
   / Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #28  
Most everything will work for the short term. Barn cats are the only long term solution I've found yet. I need smarter barn cats - stay within the influence of the yard light at night - or owl, hawks & coyotes that leave the barn cat alone.

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #29  
What do you use to get rid of the cat?
I bought this property with no mice but tons of feral cats. Yes, ladt living here before was a "cat lady"
I have taken about 40 to the pound so far.....
22 and shovel

/ Anyone use the Victor ultrasonic pest control #30  
OK - so I can not find any barn cats. I'm now using mouse traps. Seven, so far, and counting. The mice can't resist peanut butter - the chipmunks seem to be able to.