Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #31  
Two_bit_Score - The potato waste lagoons & the chicken waste lagoons were owned by two separate private companies. The lagoons were approximately four miles apart.

I just check the internet - RE: the potato processing facility. They are in the process of expanding their operations - $300 millions. Anticipated to be operational mid-year 2021.

Thank goodness - I live some 80 miles NE of both of these operations.

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #32  
My wife has relatives that live in Springfield, NE. A small town just SW of Omaha. We visited there once. In the evening the wind changes directions. The "odor" from the Omaha stock yards could scald the needles off a porcupine. So intense - the nails that held the siding on their house would rust and rust stains made brown rivulets running down the siding. That, the humidity and all the chiggers convinced me ..............

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #33  
Perhaps those living near large city sewage treatment plants should also file suit and force the cities to stop pumping their waste to areas outside the city for treatment......and do the same with paper plants and other odorific industries which are required for modern living. :confused3:

Life stinks - and some times that's literally. Unfortunately however, there seems to be a growing percentage of the population with zero connections to any of the processes that permit them to live the lives they do - and the problems that lack of understanding/connection cause aren't likely to change any time soon (especially when there don't seem to be many/any attempting to remedy that lack of understanding/connection).

I used to think that when someone told me they've interacted with someone who's never seen a live cow I was just having my leg-pulled. Now it's happened enough and some of the interactions have been close enough that the thought of someone never having seen such a fundamental animal is just ....sad. Which is also why/how I came to appreciate the farm animal exhibits in the Minnesota zoo - one of the few places where life-long urbanites may actually see the animals that provide so much to society.

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #34  
Perhaps those living near large city sewage treatment plants should also file suit and force the cities to stop pumping their waste to areas outside the city for treatment......and do the same with paper plants and other odorific industries which are required for modern living. :confused3:

Life stinks - and some times that's literally. Unfortunately however, there seems to be a growing percentage of the population with zero connections to any of the processes that permit them to live the lives they do - and the problems that lack of understanding/connection cause aren't likely to change any time soon (especially when there don't seem to be many/any attempting to remedy that lack of understanding/connection).

I used to think that when someone told me they've interacted with someone who's never seen a live cow I was just having my leg-pulled. Now it's happened enough and some of the interactions have been close enough that the thought of someone never having seen such a fundamental animal is just ....sad. Which is also why/how I came to appreciate the farm animal exhibits in the Minnesota zoo - one of the few places where life-long urbanites may actually see the animals that provide so much to society.

There's an easy solution for that though; we just ship them overseas. Out of sight, out of mind, right? That's the way that we've dealt with some of our pollution problems, as well as those about worker safety...

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #35  
No, but it only takes one rotting carcass and the wind blowing the right way to stink. Ever drive down the road in the summer and get a whiff of a rotting deer carcass on the side of the road? If you have, you'll understand.

Livestock dies, fact of life and has to be disposed of. If you want to reside in an ag area, you take the smells of agriculture in stride or stay in the city where you belong.

I used to pass a rendering plant daily. I know what dead smells like. :)

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #39  
Nothing like a peaceful, country ride on my motorcycle. Enjoying all of Mother Nature and her scenery. Then you motor past a rotting creature in the roadside ditch. Some times it's so bad - you can taste it.

/ Appellate Court Affirms Liability in North Carolina Nuisance Case #40  
I had an acquaintance who owned his own business back in the 70's and 80's. He had a couple limos, a couple hearses, and he'd clean up death scenes. Natural causes, homicides, accidents, etc.... So let's say uncle Moss dies in his house in the middle of July, and around the end of August the neighbors report a stench.... after the police are through investigating, he'd go in, remove the body to the morgue, funeral home, wherever it had to go. Then if requested, he'd clean up the puddle around the Lazy Boy where uncle Moss was found, and use chemicals to remove the stench and sanitize the areas affected. Then he'd recommend contractors to replace the damaged floor, walls, etc... whatever needed to be replaced.

It was an interesting business. He said he always felt like he was helping a family through a hard time. Quite compassionate man.