AR 15

/ AR 15 #21  
I put quotes around it because while I don't necessarily consider it 'junk' Eddie asked "who makes the cheap junk". Anything that is barely mil-spec is what you get in the military... it is kind of a running joke in the military "We have the finest weapons systems in the world... made by the lowest bidder." May have been true or just a joke but supposedly the plastic parts of the M16A2 were made by Mattel ;)

Yup, that was my first military rifle in basic. Coming back from 'Nam by the boatload. I was in basic and was slightly surprised to see "Made by Mattel" on the stock.
Having been used HEAVILY in 'Nam they did have some problems. I had grown up with a 100 yard "plinkin" range out in front of the house and could usually hit a soda can with a .22 or my 6.5x55 Swede. We went thru shells by the cases in the summer. I couldn't hit anything with the first M16 I was issued. When I went to clean it it was a smoothbore. Looked like a shotgun barrel on the inside.
They issued me another one and I made marksman or expert on the first try.

/ AR 15 #22  
Have an AR and a AK, actually like the AK better, you should go shoot both before you buy.

Honestly, I prefer an SKS to an AK for normal life, none battle type SHTF secanrio. Longer barrel, milled receiver, 10 rounds and strippers are just fine.

AK and SKS are far less 'Mod' able than AR's, but there is an 'ARAK'. Search 'Demolition Ranch ARAK' to see it, guess it's build with AR lower, can shoot 5.56 or 7.62x39 with about 30 second barrel and bolt swap. Suppose to combine some of the benefits of each.

/ AR 15 #23  
I will add something...with the recent terrorist events in France, I think it's more important for Americans to own rifles like the AR-15 (or SKS and AK types...I have one or two of all three types).

/ AR 15 #24  
I will add something...with the recent terrorist events in France, I think it's more important for Americans to own rifles like the AR-15 (or SKS and AK types...I have one or two of all three types).
Interesting thread, please don't pull it over to politics.

/ AR 15 #25  
I've got my sights on the HK 556.

HS

/ AR 15
Thank you everyone. I always thought the 5.56 and the .223 was the same thing. Never owned either and I just shot what they game me in the Marines, so I don't know why I though that. Sounds like going with the 5.56 is the best option for affordable ammo that is easy to find.

This is not for hunting. I have a 22-250 for varmints, my .30-06 for most of my hunting and a .338 for elk and moose that also went to Africa. Karen shoots a 7mm-08 for hogs and deer. She also uses it on snakes because she is more accurate with that then her little .380.

I personally don't care for shooting. It is something that I have to do to be accurate, but I don't find it to be fun or something I look forward to. I do enjoy having friends over and letting them shoot. They have fun and I enjoy that a lot. I also cannot imagine a scenario where having an AR would be preferable to my deer rifle, or something I already have. But this isn't for me, it's what she wants and I feel that the peace of mind she will get from having it and learning how to use it is priceless.

I never heard of Bushmaster, so that's good information. I've always considered Colt to be high end on cost and quality, but with all my pistols, I've gone with Ruger because I feel it's a much better value. I'm also not familiar with the M4, but after doing a quick google, think that might be what I'm looking for. The adjustable stock and putting a scope on it would be a big plus.

There sure is a lot of options out there!!! Bushmaster M4 for Sale - Buy Bushmaster M4 Online at GunBroker.com

/ AR 15 #28  
I have a S&W 556 that I got for $600. Now I grab it for everything... Took out 3 hogs last night.. Suppressed with a light mounted atop the scope. Have a Leupold mark AR 6x18 mildot optic. My 15 yr Neice shot a small tannerite can at 270yrds.. Just rangefind it, turn the knob atop the scope to dial in the distance and squeeze....