Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #1  

livemusic

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010
Price a utilitarian sxs/UTV, it'll be $20k or more. Priced a ClubCar Carryall 1500, it was $20k. Nothing fancy, a work machine. Same thing, a John Deere Gator was $23k. One of the fast, trail-riding machines that have less utility but more speed and off-road capabilities, it'll be $30k and more. This sure seems like a lot of money. But the market has evolved for both types such that there is a LOT of competition, many choices. Do you think these machines are crazy overpriced or 'worth' what they cost. Do you think that there is enough competition that the market has them priced fairly for the quality of the machine, they are built robustly, or do you think all the manufacturers are just greedy and making way too much money? It bugs me to get 'ripped off' but OTOH, am curious if market dynamics always keep prices in check... or not so? Can greed ever manifest itself in a competitive market? Collusion would be hard to accomplish with SO many manufacturers.

I could start a similar thread about pickup trucks. Problem is, seems to me, they are way too dang big these days and there's too much 'stuff' on them. Perhaps they are very well made, lol. I guess I got my money's worth out of my 2008 Nissan Titan, have 250k miles, still going.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #3  
Yes but they might be coming down. At least some. We paid 22K for our BRP 6x6 in 2022. Now you can get it for $3000 less. o_O Now I"m being sent manufactures sales flyers with 2K rebates on new ones.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #4  
If people are willing to pay these prices, the prices will never go down.
Agreed!

And, to the OP, yes!
I feel that ATV/UTV’s are a poor value for your money.

….an unfortunate cost of recreation and utility….

Mike

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #5  
Agreed!

And, to the OP, yes!

Mike
All we do is work. Is there an alternative to this atv? :LOL: (I'm kidding, there is none and been in this business many years)
6x6blade0847.jpg

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?
Agreed!

And, to the OP, yes!

Mike
OTOH, I must consider this... a friend recently said to me, "An ATV is one of the most amazing inventions ever. A critter doesn't stand a chance with these things." He was talking about hunting/fishing.

And then something like the ClubCar Carryall 1500 or John Deere Gator... they do have tremendous utility. I think they should come standard with electric or hydraulic dump beds and that would make them tremendously MORE useful. But... $20k to $25k for one? That seems about twice as much as it should be but I suppose I must be wrong about that, else, the market would have the price there? When you compare $20k to $25k for one of these machines to the cost of a small truck, these machines seem way overpriced. But I am not a market or product expert on such matters. I don't know how much 'economies of scale' come into play... how many pickups are manufactured versus these outdoor machines? Furthermore, perhaps these machines are much tougher and durable than I am giving them credit for? I know my 2007 Honda Foreman 500 is rock steady dependable, trouble-free.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #7  
I purchased a new 2024 Honda Rubicon ATV is September of this year and paid $11K for it. At the time, they had a new Honda Pioneer 700 SxS for $13K. Looking back, I wish I had purchased the SxS and was foolish for not doing so. My GF was really pushing me to the SxS and even said she would pay the difference but, I didn't listen to her. She reminds me of this every time she climbs on the back of my ATV.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #9  
Unless size is a consideration, IMO, the money is better spent on a pickup truck
ATV's and SxS's will go far more places than a pickup ever will. Mine also pulls my 5x8 trailer stacked full of hard woods out of my woods regularly. I wouldn't even consider using a pickup for what I use my ATV for...

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #10  
Buy used one.

I bought a used year 2001 ATV for $700 about 12 years ago, since I was not sure how much use I would have for ATV?

Over the years I have found it very useful tool and that's all it is for us.

It still serves us well.