Are new tractors as goods as old ones?

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #21  
International Harvester never did quite get the T/A to bullitproof stage, but it was EXTREMELY popular. The T/A in the 66 series was no worse (nor any better) than the T/A's from the letter series on through 'till it went out of production. IH must have sold millions of T/A equipped tractors. There is a T/A elimination kit available, or they can be rebuilt at a price.

The 766 was a later version of the 706. Both were VERY good tractors, meant to compete directly with the Deere 3020 (and later on, the 4030) MOst farmers that I know who owned 766's in their heyday ended up turning the pumps up and/or turbo-ing them. Usually, they netted around 90 to 100hp when turned up. (80hp stock) In these parts, a nice 766 will bring big bucks. ($6000 to $8000) Tires are expensive, but it isn't UNCOMMON for a used tractor of that age to need new sneakers.

My opinion on new vs old? New is nice. But new (in 2009 terms) is complicated and expensive. I own old tractors that are daily drivers. (as old as 38 years, and still logging quite a few hours on the job) and I own new tractors. The new ones do have saftey features not found on the typical "oldie", but those oldies have their merits too. All things equal, I'd expect my 38 year old Massey to still be plugging away in another 38 years and the 2 new Deere 6430's I just recently took delivery on will be parked in a fencerow in 25 years. Once major components start failing, they'll just be too impractical to put back on line. (read; TOO EXPENSIVE) HArd to say.....Check back with me in 2034 and I'll give you a better answer.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #22  
The overpaid American worker has cut his own throat. More pay, have to cut costs, cut build quality, lose sales, lose jobs.........

If high US wages are to blame for the demise of tractor manufacturing then why is so much equipment built in Germany, France, England etc. where wages are even higher?

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #23  
Only thing I can think of for "T/A" is "Turbocharged/Aftercooled"

Reason I say this is because I own a DTA466 diesel DTA stands for "Diesel, Turbocharged, Aftercooled"

Basically it means you have a turbocharged diesel engine with an intercooler.

That's my guess and I'm stickin to it. ;)

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #24  
torque amplifier

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #26  
International Harvester never did quite get the T/A to bullitproof stage, but it was EXTREMELY popular. The T/A in the 66 series was no worse (nor any better) than the T/A's from the letter series on through 'till it went out of production. IH must have sold millions of T/A equipped tractors. There is a T/A elimination kit available, or they can be rebuilt at a price.

The 766 was a later version of the 706. Both were VERY good tractors, meant to compete directly with the Deere 3020 (and later on, the 4030) MOst farmers that I know who owned 766's in their heyday ended up turning the pumps up and/or turbo-ing them. Usually, they netted around 90 to 100hp when turned up. (80hp stock) In these parts, a nice 766 will bring big bucks. ($6000 to $8000) Tires are expensive, but it isn't UNCOMMON for a used tractor of that age to need new sneakers.

My opinion on new vs old? New is nice. But new (in 2009 terms) is complicated and expensive. I own old tractors that are daily drivers. (as old as 38 years, and still logging quite a few hours on the job) and I own new tractors. The new ones do have saftey features not found on the typical "oldie", but those oldies have their merits too. All things equal, I'd expect my 38 year old Massey to still be plugging away in another 38 years and the 2 new Deere 6430's I just recently took delivery on will be parked in a fencerow in 25 years. Once major components start failing, they'll just be too impractical to put back on line. (read; TOO EXPENSIVE) HArd to say.....Check back with me in 2034 and I'll give you a better answer.

I second that, and I will be sending you an email in 34 years. :) So I guess the JD dealer had the sharpest pencil of all, even sharper than the MF dealer?

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #27  
Only thing I can think of for "T/A" is "Turbocharged/Aftercooled"

Reason I say this is because I own a DTA466 diesel DTA stands for "Diesel, Turbocharged, Aftercooled"

Basically it means you have a turbocharged diesel engine with an intercooler.

That's my guess and I'm stickin to it. ;)

SouNdguy and others nailed it. "T"orque "A"mplifier

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #28  
.....Check back with me in 2034 and I'll give you a better answer.

Good Evenin Bill,
Well buddy, Im a young wipper snapper born in 1951, so I will only be 83, your darn right, I will be checkin in on yea then ! ;):)

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones?
Yeah....I think I'm might pass on this one. They don't know the hours and that seems too high even for a starting point for negotiations. But I have fallen for the old stuff though....so I'll keep lookin'.