Are Southern kids soft?

/ Are Southern kids soft? #31  
CA tops the list for the no. personnel on it’s bases. CO is not in the top 10 but is close. AZ and NM are farther down the list.

Those living in the south do not regard CA, AZ, NM or CO as southern states regardless of their latitude.
Nor do we regard ourselves as part of the south; we are western. But my original point was that the SE doesn’t have all the large military installations.

/ Are Southern kids soft? #32  
. . . California was my point in my earlier post. They have the most people stationed in bases in CA, but that does not equate to per capita enlistment numbers. Thus, proving that it is not proximity of bases (or children of military personnel) that drives enlistment numbers. In my experience, enlisted parents tend to encourage their kids to be officers or choose another career entirely.

Per an article if Forbes Magazine dated 2/19/2020;

“Culture and tradition play a role in the decision to join the military, but so too does familiarity with uniformed service. As military service becomes rarer with the passing of the Greatest Generation of WWII veterans, as well as the millions who were drafted during the Cold War and Vietnam-era, military service is increasingly concentrated in families and in communities which host large military bases.”

My experience, being from a military family and growing up in a military town, differs greatly from your experience regarding parents and other family members encouraging their children to join the military. However, joining the military does NOT always mean a military career.

/ Are Southern kids soft? #33  
In the article I saw that discussed this, the article explained that beyond the several states having more recruits entering the military, those recruits had far less access to quality health care, and they were raised on very low cost diets.

So, less access to doctors, vaccines, etc,, then a low protein diet, high in low cost carbs.

This adds up to way more injuries,,

/ Are Southern kids soft? #34  
Nor do we regard ourselves as part of the south; we are western. But my original point was that the SE doesn’t have all the large military installations.

I never said they have ALL the large military installations. But they do have a 3 of the top 5 (Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, and Fort Benning). They have 4 of the top 5 if one considers Fort Campbell in Kentucky being a southern state.

/ Are Southern kids soft? #35  
Per an article if Forbes Magazine dated 2/19/2020;

“Culture and tradition play a role in the decision to join the military, but so too does familiarity with uniformed service. As military service becomes rarer with the passing of the Greatest Generation of WWII veterans, as well as the millions who were drafted during the Cold War and Vietnam-era, military service is increasingly concentrated in families and in communities which host large military bases.”

My experience, being from a military family and growing up in a military town, differs greatly from your experience regarding parents and other family members encouraging their children to join the military. However, joining the military does NOT always mean a military career.
I come from a military family. Dad is retired E8 (22 years USAF). Brother is retired O4 (20 years active plus 4 at USAFA). He retired in your area at Shaw AFB. My children and I sang the national anthem at his retirement ceremony. I spent my early years living on base and dad was in Viet Nam when I turned 5. When I graduated HS, dad insisted I not enlist. Instead, I was an AFROTC cadet. Looking back, I would have been better off enlisting. Of course, by then dad was retired and we were 3-4 hours from the nearest base in Grand Forks. Even had I enlisted, it wouldn't have fit the narrative because we didn't live near a base. My brother did not count in the data as he went to the Academy and dad was not in a base community.

As for tradition, this is not new for military service. Most of the data we see today is about enlisted service. Often, it does not even count officers. It is certainly true that those of us from military families are more likely to join and support others.

/ Are Southern kids soft? #37  
The toughest people I've ever met where either from Alaska or Maine. They just didn't care what the weather was like. They'll just do stuff anyway, even if it seems impossible. Southern boy will say, wait till the weather turns. Crack open a beer, and offer you one :)

/ Are Southern kids soft? #38  
My thinking is that every young boy AND girl should be required to serve in the Armed Forces for at least 6 months, health allowing. There is a good probability that experience may well become essential sometime in the future, not to mention the common courtesy of honoring our national anthem and flag. I'm not even going to mention common courtesy for one another...

And along this topic, the ratio goes to 100% for every state!

/ Are Southern kids soft? #39  
My thinking is that every young boy AND girl should be required to serve in the Armed Forces for at least 6 months, health allowing. There is a good probability that experience may well become essential sometime in the future, not to mention the common courtesy of honoring our national anthem and flag. I'm not even going to mention common courtesy for one another...

And along this topic, the ratio goes to 100% for every state!
A noble idea, but I’m not sure that the military branches could accommodate that many people from a training capacity and budget standpoint.

/ Are Southern kids soft? #40  
Definitely do it in lieu of loans. You want money from taxpayers, you earn it if you are able bodied. In my opinion, very few people are so disabled that they cannot work off any assistance. (Not necessarily military, though). If only those truly unable to work got public assistance, you would not likely have many taxpayers object (probably fewer on public assistance, too). At the very least, put in 40 hours watching paint dry in a government office.

As for the military part, 6 months is too short. 2 years gives them time for basic, tech school and a year or so of actual work. These roles are basic infantry reserves only and don't get GI Bill. If they want specialized training they can upgrade to a regular military enlistment. The budget problems could easily be worked out. (Savings in other areas) I'm seeing this as almost a separate branch so as not to interfere with the readiness and mission of regular military. The only impact on regulars is expansion of the training mission as all cadre and trainers would be regular military. They could expand training facilities like they do during the big wars. Conscientious objectors can do 4 years in a reboot of the CCC.