As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #21  
Yeh, it ain't great. Well even if not that, if something don't get you in a timely manner, then you'll be a very oldass effer. Fully cognitive or otherwise, what's so great about that?

Personally, I maintain a strict regiment of moderately abusing my body with booze, cannabis, and tobacco. Moderation is the key. The goal is to destroy myself before I get too old, but not too soon either. I'm confident it will work.
Oh snap, I forgot to add exercise to the list! It needs to be a 50:50 mix, guys...get some exercise, smoke some cigarettes and stuff, wash it down with booze. It will be fine.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #22  
Healthy living is slowest form of suicide....

Sitting here or in front of the TV is the worst thing I can do. Wandering the woods alone (or with a dog or 3) , up and down the hills is the best mental health exercise for me. Dealing with people makes me go out to the woods every single time.
Wondering the woods, climbing hills and stuff, and avoiding stressful people is living, brother!

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #24  
My wife's aunt bought a new tractor at 80. The old one was plum wore out.
Old age is a state of mind. Stay active - stay alive.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #25  
People past 60 who can't stand on one leg for a full minute are more likely to die within 10 years a study finds https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2022/06/22/bjsports-2021-105360
I am not a big fan of studies like that. Not that I am questioning the accuracy or truthfulness of studies (sometimes I do though). I read the abstract and this seems to be a legitimate study, but I still wouldn't put a lot of faith into it. What can be inferred is that if you can't stand on one leg for a minute you are deep dog do-do. That raises alarms that may or may not be true.

Working on your balance to improve your life expectancy is probably a fruitless endeavor. However getting in better shape isn't fruitless at all. Those two items may or may not correlate, depending on the individual. I know of people in great shape with lousy balance. Being in good physical shape would likely be a much better indicator, but is harder to neatly categorize than is standing on one leg for a randomly chose amount of time.

They often leave out other important considerations, like in this case, where were the samples gathered (My guess is that Japan would have totally different results than Bangladesh, for instance). All in all, studies are all to frequently picked up by the press and misinterpreted in a way to make people misunderstand reality.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #27  
My wife's aunt bought a new tractor at 80. The old one was plum wore out.
Old age is a state of mind. Stay active - stay alive.

My mother was bush hogging and disking until 89. Said pushing in on the clutch hurt her knee too much. Passed away at 96 last year.

Though country women.

RSKY

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #28  
Oh snap, I forgot to add exercise to the list! It needs to be a 50:50 mix, guys...get some exercise, smoke some cigarettes and stuff, wash it down with booze. It will be fine.
It was a different world when this picture was taken.

Chiefs QB Len Dawson at halftime of Super Bowl I. Cigarette and Fresca!
1661478790439.png

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #29  
Cigarette and Fresca...and died at 87. So young!

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #30  
Upgrading equipment to make it easier as I get older. The Kubota RTV x1100 is used daily, added a new Kubota excavator with thumb to make it easy to lift logs dig etc, Then there are tractors and one with AC and heat is nice. Snow plows for winter are handy. But at 80 years old I am still young at least I think I am