Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
We recently downsized our RV from a 36 fifth wheel boxcar to a 27 Airstream bumper pull. Our reason for the change is simply the fifth wheel was too big and too high to do any back County boon docking and leaving
the seclusion of our farm for a typical crowded RV park simply was not our idea of a relaxing vacation.

I知 looking for a portable generator that will produce 3500 watts to run the AC, propane fueled, remote start capability, RV plug ready, and small enough to live in the back of my F350 with the roll up box cover closed and locked when the generator is not on use. Hopefully, there is a machine that fits the bill.
Yes, there are dozens of RV sites out there, and most Q&A threads lead me to wonder if those folks can find the commode flush valve let alone offer up credible advice on generated power.
The collective TBN wisdom is hard to beat....

B. John

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #2  
Find one with a remote start kit so it can be started from inside the RV. I think someone is making a kit for the Honda E or EU series (don’t quote me on the series designation- it’s the 240v inverter type) and I’m sure their are others. My buddy had this setup for several years and loved it. He used a little hand crank crane that could lift the gen into the bed of the truck.

Last edited:
   / Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #3  
Take a look at the Champion dual fuel gens, they seem to get good reviews.
Not a propane, but I have a Briggs 4500 "camping generator" that has electric start, RV 30 amp plug, and built in CO detector with auto shut down. It will run the A/C and elec water heater at the same time with a little juice to spare. Very quiet and so far, very dependable.

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #4  
27 Airstream huh? That there is a real boondocker for sure. Boondocking with full hookups maybe. You plan on taking that anywhere off the beaten path...good luck with that.

About as much ground clearance as a gnat and overhang like a luxury yacht.

Make sure your AAA roadside assistance is paid up. You'll need it.

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #5  
27 Airstream huh? That there is a real boondocker for sure. Boondocking with full hookups maybe. You plan on taking that anywhere off the beaten path...good luck with that.

About as much ground clearance as a gnat and overhang like a luxury yacht.

Make sure your AAA roadside assistance is paid up. You'll need it.

Wow!!

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #6  
RV generators run at 1800 RPM for less noise, longer life, less fuel used, so keep that in mind, you don't want a 3600 RPM screamer..

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #7  
For camping look at an inverter gen from Honda. Expensive but very quiet. Your camping neighbors won’t lynch you. I wouldn’t use any 3600 rpm unit for camping...way too noisy. My friends RV gen is super quiet..... but then again the RV cost 800,000 bucks.

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #8  
RV generators run at 1800 RPM for less noise, longer life, less fuel used, so keep that in mind, you don't want a 3600 RPM screamer..

I just picked up an old Onan RV generator project. 1800RPM, yes, but it is also 710cc and 4KW. 3600RPM units will need only half the displacement to get the same AC output power. So I expect that fuel economy will be similar.

I have always wanted one for the quietness. I am replacing my old reliable, but extremely loud Generac 5000KW (6250).

I tried a Generac inverter-gen, but the control board failed, and it costs more than a new generator!

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #9  
I am playing with a Cummins/Onan Quiet 7.5KW Diesel set. Not really a fan of inverter sets, but am curious to try this thing. It is extremely quiet. You won't be disturbing the enviroment you are visiting. Maybe overkill for what you have and I don't think you said what fuel your truck uses. Hey, if you have an Airstream, why not go with the best generator too?

/ Asking the collective wisdom of this site about RV generators #10  
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY

Not quite enough watts. As usual it is advertised as "3400 watts" and that is surge watts not rated. Rated is closer to 3K and of course if you run on propane less than that. Ticks all your other boxes though. Looks like it should fit in a truck bed with the lid closed.

I suspect Champion has a higher watt rated gen set that ticks all these boxes.