Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor?

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #32  
I have an 8,000 pound hydraulic winch set up for the TPH. Not sure I've ever used it. Wait, I did to pull a 40' conex.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #33  
Completely forgot I posted this question. It's a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb APEX with synthetic rope.

I see using it for multiple things. One is that I am clearing land and many of the trees and underbrush is in areas where the tractor just can't go. Too many boulders and such.

One of the other uses would be in a timber frame barn construction as well as some conventional stick frame construction. I envision being able to put together some pulley systems for lifting and moving timbers, trusses, etc around
Get yourself a Group 31 marine starting battery, preferably the heaviest one you can get. I use one to run a 13k Xbull winch. I use the winch to drag 16' logs up onto my trailer. I can normally drag about 2 cords worth without totally draining the battery, but I'm also doing lots of 8' to 10' pulls, not supper long pulls. It takes me about 3 hours to get the trailer fully loaded. I don't have the battery connected to any kind of power source when I'm doing this. If you can have it connected to an alternator, that would be even better. I bought Anderson plugs to do that, and was going to use a cheap set of 2 awg jumper cables to route power to the back of my truck. Before going through the work of wiring power to the back of the truck, I decided to do a trial run with just the battery (I took a backup battery as well), and didn't end up needing the spare battery.

I also buried my 1710 in a sand bar and used the winch and battery to pull it out. The frame was in the ground, and I had dug everything the bucket could reach trying to push myself backwards. The winch had to do 100% of the work. I had to make 3 full length (+75') pulls to get the tractor out of the sand bar, and up the hill (backwards - poor traction from the loaded ag tires). The battery held up fine. I do 2 or 3 loads of logs per year, and just replaced the battery this winter. I didn't maintain it very well and let the water get really low, and then forgot to put it on the charger after the last trip last year. Coincidently, I use the same size battery in my 1710, and it was bought at the same time, and I also had to replace it this winter as well. Originally I had them in a '93 F250 diesel. I ran them in that truck for about 2 years before I ended up parking it. The tractor battery needed replaced at the time, so I dropped one in the tractor. I had just bought the winch, so I used the 2nd one to feed that.

Attached are some pics of my trailer and a load of black locust that I brought home, as well as a pick of a pin oak log from a tree that I had to take down in the back yard. I hang a snatch block off the overhead trolley to keep the cable up above the load.

KIMG0810.JPGLocust 2019 01.JPGLocust 2019 02.JPGLog 2 for mill.jpg

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #34  
Good luck getting a Group 31 battery into the tractor battery compartment.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #35  
Good luck getting a Group 31 battery into the tractor battery compartment.
They fit in my little 1710 :)

Probably won't fit in anything new though. I'd just build a tray that allows it to sit somewhere else, even if that somewhere is above or below the winch.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #36  
Probably a second plate welded in if you are going to attach there. Since it’s already broken.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #37  
I probably should have included this in my first post, but for the intended use of skidding logs, you're MUCH better off using the tractor's drive train to do most of the work in comparison to an electric winch. If you NEED to winch a quantity of logs up out of a ravine, you'll burn up an electric winch relatively quickly. If they must be winched instead of simply dragging them out, then you really need a PTO driven winch. If you're skidding across relatively dry ground, you're actually better off pulling with something like a 4wd 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The tractors are good for getting into places that trucks can't access, and tractors can get better traction in less than ideal ground conditions, but the tractors are also very very slow. So long as the ground is dry, I can skid more weight with my 4wd F350 than I can with a 25hp 4,000 lb tractor, and I can skid the logs at least twice as fast going down the logging lanes.

For the other uses, a 12v winch should work fine. I've had some small projects like that (elevated deer blind) where my winch has come in very handy. Lift and/or pull in one direction with the tractor and loader while lifting and pulling in another via the winch and its remote control.

Last edited:
   / Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #38  
We need to know more about the winch in question.

I have a Warn VRX on my UTV that only draws 160A under full load with a 2500 lb pulling capacity

Yes, it's not the same grade and capacity as something mounted on a Jeep but it's enough for my needs and the winch he's referring to may not be any bigger.

I had an occasion where I was clearing my trails and a hardwood stump pushed the tractor's step back into the rear tire. It sounded like a card in a bike's spokes on steroids.

I used the UTV's winch to pull the step back into position, or at least away from the tire. It had enough oomph to drag the tractor a bit during the process and I had to put the UTV up against another tree to keep it from being dragged.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #39  
This is probably somewhat of a newb question. I have a Harbor Freight winch and was originally thinking I'd have to attach it to the back with a towing receiver or some configuration like that. Then I noticed the front of my tractor has this plate on the front as shown in the image below. Can a winch mount be attached there? If so what would be the best way to mount?

View attachment 849596
These winches are very slow and power draining for what you describe as others have stated.
I feel you’d be better off with A capstan type winch for the work you describe.
There are larger ones as well.

/ Attaching Winch to Front of Tractor? #40  
I enjoy reading all these thoughts on winches and winching tractors. I thought I'd just throw out a comment and thought. Putting a 12,000 winch on the front casting of a tractor can be a bit of overkill, but nothing like being able to hopefully pull anything needed.
Now I'm sure everyone has seen the pictures of these compact tractors being broke in half, some from 3 point backhoes and some for other reasons.
One thing to think about when the larger tractors are getting towed out from getting stuck a great many of them have a tow cable mounted up on the front for pulling the tractor, however that cable runs under the tractor all the way to the rear fixed drawbar mounting or actually around the drawbar to pull the tractor without pulling it apart.