Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #1  

Outbuilding Info

Tractor
Yanmar SA425
Greetings,

I'm looking to replace a metal shed building with dirt floor with a permanent garage. I'd like to keep the garage pretty small but then have a shed roof off to the side or other side storage for a covered and secured area to store implements. Considering racking and other ways to keep these all in out of the rain, protected from prying eyes while I'm away from the cabin, and yet have decent access.

I'm in the Northwest (USA) and don't have severe cold but tons of coastal moisture.

I'm interested in what others have done to keep track of a handful of attachments under cover in a compact way and yet be readily accessible.

For reference, these are all pretty small implements for a 24hp compact. They tend to weigh 500-700 lbs. each.

Probably everyone can relate to not having enough storage space.

Thanks in advance.

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #2  
I took an idea from others here and built dollies for many of my implements. I can stack them in the barn and move them around by hand to get to the ones behind them.

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #3  
The coastal environment is unique. I would look at getting a good seal on your storage.

A side opening conex box would be nice to have easy access.

00Q0Q_5CGJ1yc2uow_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

I've been thinking about building a woodshed out of a conex. Putting a concrete floor under it, and enclosing the whole thing in brick. Another future project!!!

Bar None regularly sells side opening conex boxes. But, at least for last month I only see 40 foot boxes

I don't know how well they stand up to your environment. Do any of your neighbors use conex boxes?

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #4  
I took an idea from others here and built dollies for many of my implements. I can stack them in the barn and move them around by hand to get to the ones behind them.
Another option are pallets and a pallet jack.. assuming a concrete floor.

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience
This is sort of a bulk reply to some of the above posts. Thanks for contributing.

Currently I don't have a concrete floor (it is gravel). That is part of the motivation to replace/rebuild/improve the current setup. My hope is to keep the actual concrete garage part pretty small (think single car garage.. or longer with doors at both ends) that is weather tight and secure. Then I am considering a shed roof off one side to manage the implements under cover but out in the open air. We have a couple of livestock sheds that are 3-sided (metal roofing walls) where the ground underneath is bone dry even in strong rains.

Our county has some specific restrictions on shipping containers with regard to permanent structures but I do see them here and there so there is a way to do it. I coach at a local high school and we store the track and field equipment in containers so I am pretty familiar with how those hold up in our weather. At the track, one is too tight (gets really musty) and the other is too leaky (floor rotting out). I'll consider those as well as they could be a great solution.

When I'm next at the cabin, I will take a photo or two and add a drawing of my thoughts so far.

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #6  
If your current shed is in good shape, you could level it out, add some gravel, and pour a concrete floor inside.

But there are also good reasons to start fresh too.

For a small shed, 2 or 3 people could knock it out in an afternoon. I've been looking for somebody else's project to practice on. :)

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #7  
The coastal environment is unique. I would look at getting a good seal on your storage.

A side opening conex box would be nice to have easy access.

00Q0Q_5CGJ1yc2uow_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

I've been thinking about building a woodshed out of a conex. Putting a concrete floor under it, and enclosing the whole thing in brick. Another future project!!!

Bar None regularly sells side opening conex boxes. But, at least for last month I only see 40 foot boxes

I don't know how well they stand up to your environment. Do any of your neighbors use conex boxes?
I just got 2 quotes for a 20' open side new (one trip) container. Anywhere from $7,000 to $8,000 delivered to me out of Dallas.

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #8  
If you have a front loader and pallet forks, have you considered Home Depot style lumber racks to stack them vertically, keep them off the floor, maximize floor space, and make them difficult to steal without a loader/forks?

/ Attachment Storage Ideas/Experience #9  
I just got 2 quotes for a 20' open side new (one trip) container. Anywhere from $7,000 to $8,000 delivered to me out of Dallas.
'
Hmmm... I was wondering if that Portland ad was some kind of bait and switch. Especially since it is over a month old.

I've built a custom dolly for hauling conex boxes, but so far have only done 35 to 40 foot aluminum boxes. The shorter ones might actually be a bit awkward, but not impossible.

Steel 40' boxes are just slightly over what I am comfortable towing.

The Bar None auction was recent auction results with the 40 foot multi-door boxes for $6700 to $7000.

Prices seemed to bounce up a lot in 2020, and haven't recovered yet. I keep hoping.