Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #61  
Sadly the world now seems to have lost that bravery and lessons learned.
Only because history has been kind to us. People today are made of the same stuff as back then. The firmware has changed a bit, but it’s still all the same base hardware, easily and quickly reprogrammed under the stress of such events.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #62  
Churchill never would have been Prime Minister today. I'm surprised that the history books haven't been rewritten yet to take him out of them.
There must be a nearly a million Churchill quotes floating around out there, but one of my favorites has always been something like (from memory), “History will be kind to me, because I will be the one writing it.”

He wrote the some of the most comprehensive and oft-cited volumes on the history of WW2, at the time, starting shortly after he was voted out of office following VE Day. It’d be hard to un-write all he provided, not only through those works, but all the other authors who cited his in their own.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #63  
One thing about FDR’s speech that always stands out to me, the word “Infamy”. I’ve never heard that word used any other time or place but people immediately understood it’s meaning.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #64  
There must be a nearly a million Churchill quotes floating around out there, but one of my favorites has always been something like (from memory), “History will be kind to me, because I will be the one writing it.”

He wrote the some of the most comprehensive and oft-cited volumes on the history of WW2, at the time, starting shortly after he was voted out of office following VE Day. It’d be hard to un-write all he provided, not only through those works, but all the other authors who cited his in their own.
Have been watching that documentary series on History ( or Discovery?) channel about Kennedy, they highlighted his admiration and patterning of Churchill. Sadly leaders like them both are not being seen any more. We have a drama teacher and you have the extremes of senility or boisterous flamoboyancy.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #65  
My Grand Parents in Holland were part of the resistance and their home was a quick distribution point to hide Jews until moved to more permanent places in the country side. My Mother was under 12 at the time and prefers not to talk about those terrible times ( raids on their home, the hidden radio , I heard about from my Uncle) . Sadly the world now seems to have lost that bravery and lessons learned.

My great uncle Chet flew on B-17’s. His was shot down over France. He survived the crash landing but lost an eye and an arm. The French Resistance took his surviving crew in. He refused to be smuggled back to the US, and instead stayed and became part of the FR.
He was the pride of our family back in the WW-2 and post war decades.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #66  
Ah, yeah. OK...

The scary part is that some will believe you.
...or Google it and actually post a series of "fact check" links. :rolleyes:

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #67  
...or Google it and actually post a series of "fact check" links. :rolleyes:
How does everything on here involving historical events get political and partisan? Pick your source off the Googler, many different opinions/options out there, unfortunately imo a lot of far out there opinions I despise are posted on the only forum Im somewhat active on for some reason, admittedly ,at times I have a arsenal of memes I'll use just to put someone's panties in a bunch especially when an outrageously hypocritical, disrespectful theory or statement is posted that is gospel to some possibly trying to justify what I feel is total b.s. after a unfound bloggers theory explaining why someone with power and influence acting like a total POS making an attempt to justify how they act or what they say in public. My Rants over and I'm fully ready to handle and defend the ramifications of my statement. Good day.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #68  
Also, more and more of the critical function of the military requires a relatively high level of training and education. We'll always need some in boots to just point and shoot, but more and more it's about drones, theater warfare systems, automatic guidance, piloting highly-technical equipment, etc. The old Swiss system of a few months in the military before college doesn't seem as useful today, when there's such a substantial up-front investment required to turn a civilian into a proficient soldier, in today's high-tech US military.
Mandatory service would fix the situation of a large variety of jobs being offered in the Military. For example, quit paying a civilian contractor to run the Mess Hall. Or run the laundry. Or guard the front gate. Etc., etc.

Being a "in boots to just point and shoot" Soldier I take offense at that comment. Our "point and shoot" Soldiers of today are elite and highly trained. You'd never see them coming.

In the Vietnam era it required 12 Soldiers in the rear to field 1 Warfighter in the field. Ten years ago that ratio was 50 to 1. Not sure where it is now. That happened because the Warfighter is so much more efficient.

The quality of Soldiers in uniform would rise dramatically with mandatory service. I was a Squad Leader in Vietnam. One of my Squad members was a four year college degreed High School Math teacher. Would never see that today.

Currently only 6% of all living Americans have served in the Military. Currently we have approximately 1.4 million Americans serving in the Military. That's in a Nation of 350 Million.

To get back to the point. When only 1.4 people out of 350 we know is serving and defending us we don't feel much ownership or appreciation.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #69  
Some countries have compulsory military service with the option of civilian service for the same length of time.

A co worker opted to serve in healthcare instead of military and his duty post was driving an ambulance…

Many ways to contribute.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #70  
Yeah,,,,like KP duty..... peeling potatoes...firing the barracks coal stove.. :rolleyes: I was 9 years old on December 7th 1941.........I daily fly the flag in honor of all those from WWII right on to today.

Cheers,
Mike

c
You Sir are a true American Patriot.

I distinctly remember KP duty and peeling potatoes.