ATV plow recommendations.

/ ATV plow recommendations. #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
I'm in the market for a plow setup now that I acquired a "free" 2003 Rubicon.

I have a paved driveway that is curved and ~30ft wide and ~135ft long with another 45 ft of township road frontage.

I will plow this as well as a path from my barn to the drive and to my lower patio (all through the yard). I don't want to put a plow on that's oversized for a 500 machine. I do want an easy mount system (will need to purchase a winch as well) with good ground clearance.

In the research I've done, I think I'm leaning toward the Warn Provantage system. I'm still unsure as to what size and style blade to go with, however.

Any general advice or recommendations on a system? Anything I need to look for? Is a straight blade the ideal setup for a smaller machine like mine?

I'm probably going to chain the tires for the off camber yard clearing as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / ATV plow recommendations. #2  
I have a 2004 Honda Rubicon and been using a Cycle Country manual lift plow for several years now. I still have no intentions of getting a winch for it. Still happy just using the manual lift.

ATV and UTV Snow Plows, Accessories - Cycle Country

Edit: Here is a friendly user site that may have a plow your interested in.

Atv Snow Plows, Snow Plow Kits, Cyclecountry, ITP Mudlite, Sedona Atv Tires, Avon Motorcycle Tires, Metzeler, Dirt Bike Gear, Fly Racing, Kids Dirt Bike Boots, Youth Chest Protector, Namura Pistons, Michelin, Dunlop, Warn

Last edited:
   / ATV plow recommendations. #3  

I have a paved driveway that is curved and ~30ft wide and ~135ft long with another 45 ft of township road frontage.

I will plow this as well as a path from my barn to the drive and to my lower patio (all through the yard). I don't want to put a plow on that's oversized for a 500 machine. I do want an easy mount system (will need to purchase a winch as well) with good ground clearance.

I had a 60" plow that worked fine with my 400 cc Bombardier "Outlander Max" (now Can-Am), and I use it on my current 650, so 60" should be fine for your 500 cc Rubicon. And I would recommend Warn. (The new Can-Ams look pretty slick, but my old Bombardier had real problems with the remote angler.)

In the research I've done, I think I'm leaning toward the Warn Provantage system. I'm still unsure as to what size and style blade to go with, however.

Any general advice or recommendations on a system? Anything I need to look for? Is a straight blade the ideal setup for a smaller machine like mine?

Thanks!

60" should be fine. I used my 60" on my old 400 cc Bombardier, and it worked well. You will run out of traction before you run out of power.

/ ATV plow recommendations. #4  

Thanks!
The plow for my old CubCadet is a 5 position (straight, medium and severe angles to either right or left). Sometimes I would need to angle it to cut a smaller path and get snow off to the side so I could keep going. That is Wisconsin though.

/ ATV plow recommendations. #5  
I have a Warn Provantage plow that I have had mounted to both a Yamaha Grizzly 550, and now a Honda Rincon. I do not like this system. The entire plow weight is supported by the front suspension, which causes significant compression. The added pressure while plowing snow can increase this compression. On hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt) that is not much of an issue. If you plan on plowing "cross country" to your barn, you will probably find the plow digging into the ground underneath. Adjusting the height with the winch is further complicated by the loading and unloading of the suspension. I once saw an add for an ATV plow that was suspended by the winch in front and an attachment that went under the ATV to the rear hitch. This would seem to me to be a better weight distribution set up.

/ ATV plow recommendations. #6  
We installed a Moose brand 60" plow on a Honda Rancher last year .Decent plow,winch lift.He installs chains on all fours for the winter.I had one on a Kawsaki Prairie(400cc) with a manual lift and it worked very well.

/ ATV plow recommendations.
Thanks, guys. Good to hear about the Warn. That's why I'm asking.

Also considering just getting a snowblower as it might meet my needs better.

Really want a SCUT, though :)

/ ATV plow recommendations. #9  
I have a Warn Provantage plow that I have had mounted to both a Yamaha Grizzly 550, and now a Honda Rincon. I do not like this system. The entire plow weight is supported by the front suspension, which causes significant compression. The added pressure while plowing snow can increase this compression. On hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt) that is not much of an issue. If you plan on plowing "cross country" to your barn, you will probably find the plow digging into the ground underneath. Adjusting the height with the winch is further complicated by the loading and unloading of the suspension. I once saw an add for an ATV plow that was suspended by the winch in front and an attachment that went under the ATV to the rear hitch. This would seem to me to be a better weight distribution set up.

I have a mid mount on my Rubicon (hook up pins just under foot pegs) and it's not bad at all on front suspension.